Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 16, 2010, 2:47 PM   #1

Default Corrupt JPEG pictures

Hello all. I am brand new to this site and probably would have never found it except I have been searching for hours on the internet for a solution to my problem. Here it is. I have a digital photo frame (about 3 years old) and have photos in them. I moved and this got packed away. I found it today, plugged it in, and then had a heart attack. About 75% of the photos are damaged. Don't know why. There are no other copies of these photos. Most are messed up like you will see at the bottom of this post and some are half greyed out or more. Please help me. These are pictures of my little boy and I despretely want them fixed. If there is anything anyone can do I won't be able to thank you enough.

smedroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2010, 5:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by smedroc View Post

You can "kinda" recover your photos with some work in an graphics editing program. I used Photoshop for the above. It did take some time to edit the image. More tedious work could make it look better but that would take even more (a lot of) time. If you hired someone to fix you photos, the cost would be significant because of the amount of time involved. Learn how to use a graphics editor and fix them yourself.

Or maybe someone can help you recover the photos from your frame correctly.

Sky

Last edited by skylark; Aug 16, 2010 at 5:57 PM.
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 6:12 PM   #3

Thanks alot for your reply Sky. I am able to copy or cut them from the digital photo frame and put them on my computer. I will try the photoshop program and see what I can do. Any more suggestions would be great and appreciated.
smedroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 5:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smedroc View Post
Thanks alot for your reply Sky. I am able to copy or cut them from the digital photo frame and put them on my computer. I will try the photoshop program and see what I can do. Any more suggestions would be great and appreciated.

If you aren’t familiar with Photoshop, it’s an expensive program (about $650) with a large learning curve. I use an older version Photoshop 7 which does not have the latest tools like the latest Photoshop CSx versions. There is a Photoshop Elements program which can do a lot of what Photoshop does but costs about $75. I believe Photoshop Elements 8 has layer capability but I have not used it. There are other graphics editing programs like Paint Shop Pro that are not too expensive.

To give you an idea of the PS tools that I used to edit your photo, they are:
- Marquee tool - Used the rectangle selection.
- Layers - Created a new layer for each block that needed work.
- Layer > New adjustment layer > Levels (to change the color and contrast of each block)
- Clone Stamp Tool - To clone over small problem areas
- Healing Brush Tool - To clone over areas with blending of the edges.

If you are not familiar with Photoshop, suggest taking a class that covers layers. Your state library will have a lot of books on Photoshop if you can learn from books. Try the free trial version of the program you want to use before buying it to see if you like it.

It’s possible to edit the photo without using layers but it will take a LOT more work. Layers give you the ability to go back to a previous action and re-tweak it. For instance, you correct the color & brightness of a section of a photo and then correct the color and brightness for a second section and then a third section. Now the colors for each section are just a tad off. Since you used “Layer > New adjustment layer > Levels”, you can re-open the adjustment layers and tweak them to match the other sections without having to do the entire process again.

Here's a link to an exceptional website to learn how to use Photoshop. To get an idea of how layers work, scroll about 2/3 down and in the left column, click on "Basic Layers (Flash Video)". It doesn't cover how to use the levels adjustment layer but will give you a very good idea of how layers work if you aren't familiar with them.

http://www.jkost.com/photoshop.html

The good thing is what you learn to fix your photos will be invaluable to make the photos you take look their best.

Sky

Last edited by skylark; Aug 17, 2010 at 5:35 AM.
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 7:00 AM   #5

Would you mind posting the make and model number of your digital frame. Its basically a CD/DVD player with a storage drive. I think you should spend some time trying to retrieve the photo files from the drive before you start thinking anything about going out and buying Photoshop and learning to use it. While Skylark did a decent job its far from perfect and its still a small res file. And others are going to be even tougher to fix. While buying Photoshop and learning to use it is never a waste of time, its something you want to think of as a last resort to your problem.

I just checked my digital frame. Ive used it once and never bothered to really set it up. Its still in the box with some pics in it. Apparently it has an internal memory and plugs into the USB port on my computer and pops up like a harddrive. Some frames only have memory card slots. Are the pics on a memory card or loaded from the computer?

Last edited by Bynx; Aug 17, 2010 at 7:33 AM.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 1:30 PM   #6

The first thing I would recommend, is to copy the photos from the frame to a compurer. If the photos viewed on the computer are also corrupted, it may be difficult to recover them, though still possible for some. If they look on the computer like they do here, it is likely they could be repaired with a binary or hex editor. I don't have that ability myself. My guess is that JimC, one of our moderators, could point you in the right direction.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote