Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 19, 2010, 9:45 AM   #1
BDD

Default Toronto Nikon Service Centers

I'm looking for any "qualified" camera shop actually that will clean the inside of my camera. I've got a translucent circle in the center and dust (which I should be able to get rid of with one of those "rocket bulb" http://www.henrys.ca/5062-GIOTTOS-AI...ET-BLOWER.aspx ...but since I would be having the shop look at the "circle" might as well let them "blow out" the dust...or use some cleaning solution).

The dust is not on the sensor. So photos are fine.

Can some one recommend some shops in the GTA? Newmarket, Markham, Richmond Hill...etc.?

Thanks.

Last edited by BDD; Aug 19, 2010 at 9:49 AM.
BDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2010, 10:04 PM   #2

Do you want to take it directly to Nikon? or are you looking for a less expensive solution?
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 11:20 PM   #3
BDD

Frank,

This morning (Friday) I used the little cloth supplied to me by Pioneer for my plasma HDTV screen and wiped away the dust from the focusing screen. Worked perfectly. FREE!

And the translucent circle I recently noticed I think that is just from the design of the focusing screen. Which is more noticeable with the lens off. You can actually also see the fine circular grooves on the focusing screen surrounding this faint tiny circle. Many of them.

So really there was never a problem at all. I didn't think you would be able to see any tiny faint translucent circle at all. Guess this is just how it is. I wonder if this is the case on Canon DSLRs too...and all DSLRs.

But knowing the locations of some authorized Nikon service centers in the GTA wouldn't hurt either. Just in case. Not sure if Nikon would be even more expensive (e.g. for a cleaning) than the place Henry's ships our cameras to for servicing. Or, if Henry's just doesn't ship them to Nikon Canada directly

Last edited by BDD; Aug 20, 2010 at 8:45 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 11:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDD View Post
...knowing the locations of some authorized Nikon service centers in the GTA wouldn't hurt either.
http://www.nikon.ca/en/about.aspx
PvrFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2010, 3:39 PM   #5
BDD

Thanks Pvrfan. But that would be their head office I think. Was hoping to find some mom & pop shop that has been authorized. Perhaps there aren't any.

Any how as I said there was really no problem. The tiny translucent circle in center of VF (visible with lens on if I really squinted and looked for it) was part of the circular grain (seen with lens off) of the focusing screen. Doesn't show up on photos of course. But as I also said I didn't think it could be noticeable under the right light.

Last edited by BDD; Aug 21, 2010 at 4:54 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 8:15 AM   #6

In my limited experience, the lines on the focus screen is typical for any dslr, it's that way on my Pentax cameras. You only notice the circles when you don't have a lens on - otherwise I don't see it at all.

Do be careful when you are cleaning the focus screen - they are very fragile and easily scratched. I've been known to ignore dust on it/in the viewfinder mechanism for a very long time rather than run the risk of scratching it since it doesn't affect the pictures. When it finally gets to the point where it annoys me more than my fear of scratching the glass, I'll do something about it.

I know, they aren't all THAT expensive to replace (at least that's the case with Pentax) and it's not all that difficult to change them out, but it's something I avoid if possible.

The hand air blower is useful for this as well as sensor dust.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 10:29 AM   #7

There are various styles of focus screen available for some cameras. It may be that the circle you are seeing is meant to be there.
If it doesn't affect your pictures, or interfere with using the camera, I am also of the opinion that it is better left alone. Older, manual focus cameras, used glass focus screens with split prisms to aid in focusing, and were more difficult to scratch or damage. DSLRs mostly use plastic, which, as Harriet says, are very easy to scratch, and have to be handled carefully.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 5:05 PM   #8
BDD

Yes. As I said I now believe that vague circle I see in the dead center of the VF is how the Nikon focusing screens are made. I just never saw it till recently and found that odd.

I have a Nikon FE and Nikormat SLR. They both have what I think VTphotog is talking about "split prism". If by that he meant a focusing screens which had shapes that you had to align to achieve focus. Which I think is great. I would love to see this used in DSLRs. This way we could manual focus so much easier and quicker. Though I do prefer AF 99% of the time.

I recall there was a third-party focusing screen manufacturer called Kat's Eye. They made screens (I believe glass) for I think all brands of DSLRs. And pretty much every model for each camera brand. But there was a negative. I think you lost a stop or two? Not sure. I was considering it because they had a choice of design on the focusing screen (e.g. rule of thirds...which I'd like to have...I know the new Canon 7D allows you to switch on this grid pattern). Maybe we'll see it in the replacement for the Nikon D700 (along with 1080p video capture, D3s based 200-12,800 useable ISO sensor...etc.).

Last edited by BDD; Aug 21, 2010 at 5:09 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 8:29 PM   #9

Split viewfinders aren't used in DSLR's because DSLR viewfinders are smaller and dimmer than their film counterparts, especially when stopped down, making split prism screens harder to use.

From what I understand Katz eyes are good, but do affect metering by one or two stops.

Fyi, you mention the D700 not having grid lines...that is incorrrect. All Nikons from the D5k up have on demand grid lines in the viewfinder.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 10:21 PM   #10
BDD

Don't recall ever mentioning Nikon's not having on-demand grid lines. What I did say was that i'd like to see "rule of thirds" grid design as is available on the Canon 7D on the replacement for the D700 (along with other features). And on the next verison of the D3s actually (plus 1080p REC ability).

And I do have a D300 btw...

Any how I think this thread is over. Since what I thought was a problem wasn't one. HEH! And I guess there aren't any authorized Nikon Service Centers in Toronto outside of Nikon Canada themselves (unlike the many for electronics made by manufacturers like Panasonic).

Last edited by BDD; Aug 23, 2010 at 8:52 AM.