Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 16, 2003, 6:19 PM   #1
lux

Default docking stations

Can someone tell me what the benefit of having a docking station is? I guess right now I'm in the process of deciding on an ultra compact camera (casio z4 v. pentax s4) and one has the docking station whereas one doesn't...

Do docking stations transfer images faster or something?
lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2003, 9:46 PM   #2

I would be very surprised if a docking station transfered the pictures any faster than a regular USB card reader. And it might even do it slower than a USB 2 reader (because the docking station is USB1 to save money.)

They might double as the battery charger, so they might serve a purpose. Don't know, that would be camera specific.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2003, 8:22 AM   #3

Default Docking station

Dear Lux-

I bought a Kodak DX6490 for my wife a few months ago.
The system comes with a docking station, cables (one for power, One for computer connection).

Advantages:
Battery is always charged (yes it is OK to leave it in the station, no danger of overcharging).

Gives you a "One button" transfer of files to your computer

Speed is a relative issue, I can't believe a minute or two longer will change your life much- but it does transfer fairly rapidly.

You do not have to remove your CF (SD) card from the camera- and can erase the images via the software provided.

The Kodak software does a nice job of creating "albums" and helps keep your files in order.

Disadvantages -

It takes up a certain amount of space on your Computer desk.

You do not have a method of recharging once you are out in the field. However, we have gone on All-day shoots and taken dozens of photos without needing a back up battery or charger.

For what its worth -
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2003, 3:39 PM   #4
lux

What do you mean you don't have to remove the SD card to delete images? When would you need to require the SD card alone?

Can batteries be overcharged in normal charging systems?

Incidentally, when I was asking about docking staion on the casio z4 vs. none on the S4, I don't mean that there is a USB SD card reader... I just meant a direct plug into the camera and one into the USB port (I think)...

I don't actually know I guess since I've been using a serial port (gag) with my powershot A50
lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2003, 6:44 PM   #5

A good charger won't allow the battery to get over charged. I doubt they'd put a bad on in their base station, so this shouldn't be an issue.

When you use the docking station, it acts like a card reader, so you can delete from it or whatever else you'd do with a card reader. The SD card just appears like a hard disk on your computer.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote