Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 23, 2010, 4:03 AM   #11

I have some sympathy here if the op bought in good faith and didnt know it was a gray import then he has been conned
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 8:05 AM   #12

There are probably many reasons for a camera to have been purchased in another country and then brought into Canada where it finally needs repairs. Im just a simple guy. The camera says Nikon, its a Nikon camera, so Nikon should fix it. They are going to charge the snot for the repair arent they? And even if its a warranty repair, how much do they lose? Even in terms of good will.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 8:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
The camera says Nikon, its a Nikon camera, so Nikon should fix it. They are going to charge the snot for the repair arent they? And even if its a warranty repair, how much do they lose? Even in terms of good will.
Actually, they lose a lot because by policy they would be legitimizing the gray market. Remember, they did not import it, they did not distribute it, and most important, they were not entitled to any profit from the original sale. Now why should the cover that for "free" under warranty when they built the warranty into the price of the actual units they sold?

It is similar in my other hobby, bicycling. A local bike shop (LBS) stands behind their product and assists with warranty claims by either doing the repair or assisting with the replacement. Bring a "WalMart" bike in and they will gladly repair it, but expect to pay for it - even if they carry the same brand as there are huge differences. When Schwinn aligned with WalMart, it drove it's dealer network away as people compared prices only. $79 special at WalMart vs $250 Schwinn at that "ripoff" LBS. Both appropriately priced and the cheap parts of the $79 special break...ultimately costing you more than $250 - supporting the LBS repair department and future sales when people wise up. But being labeled as a 'rip-off business' ultimately caused them to drop the Schwinn line.

With gray market Nikon, you got it marginally cheaper up front, you took a gamble, you lost.

That said, there could be some cooperation between "authorized dealer" franchises around the world to accomodate international mobility. If you bought it from an authorized dealer in Great Britian - when either on vacation or living there - that it be covered by the authorized dealer in the country where service is required - when on vacation or have moved there. Unfortunately, that interchange does not exist, but not aware of any industry where such does exist.

Last edited by tizeye; Aug 23, 2010 at 9:25 AM.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:49 AM   #14

I certainly understand the concept of marketing/distribution territories, and what leads to a "gray" market product. However, that said, Nikon or who ever the manufacturer may be, ultimately produced the product by the parent manufacturer (neglecting the problem of counterfeits). Nikon in this case could very easily have a charge back system, where the repair is paid by the originating distributor.

This gray market cover is somewhat of a scam. Nikon is not really producing substandard cameras for just one market (the bicycle argument). What in essence is being done is that its a way for Nikon (and the distributors) to legally walk away from its warranty. Just attach an international warranty, to all of their products. The distributor is essentially saying - Well, I did not sell it, so my warranty is not being exercised. When in fact, it is just shielding the parent manufacturer from the cost and liability, when the warranty is essentially provided by the manufacturer.

Cameras are intended to take with you, so a German tourist would be unable to have their camera repaired in the US while on an extended vacation? Its not as if the product is permanently attached to your house, and is never expected to travel anywhere.

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:45 AM   #15

I have to agree with the consensus of most of the others in that gray maket cameras are not covered under "US" waranty policies regardless of the manufacturer. They are typically offered at a lower cost, no different than microsoft support on OEM operating systems, they offer no tech support but refer you back to who you bought it from. I dont hold the manufacturer or distribution chain responsible for this. The US market has to agree to terms to be an authorized distributor or like already stated all will lose money.
My only empathy goes out if the OP got the old bait and switch and unknowlingly bought gray market goods. This is why in the age of technology and online shopping it is more important to go with a reputable retailer than the lowest price that are pretty much always bait and switch operations or outright scammers.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 1:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by interested_observer View Post
What in essence is being done is that its a way for Nikon (and the distributors) to legally walk away from its warranty.
There may be physical differences in different parts of the world.
camvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 8:14 PM   #17

If you want to go gray market, go with olympus. Worldwide warranty.

The gray market thing is tricky. If you lived in another country for couple of years, and have gotten stuff locally, ie US military living aboard. Then come back to the states. Nikon USA will still not repair it even if you brought them from an authorized dealer in the country you lived in for couple of years. Even if you are willing to repair it. So nikon USA has gone a bit overboard with their gray market policy. While canon will service my lenses I brought aboard that are out of warranty, and charge me the repair fees.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 8:28 PM   #18

If you purchased locally, that makes sense. I have purchased camera and lenses through base photo clubs and PX, with full warranties.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 8:33 PM   #19

Actually I have lenses for canon japan, that I got when I was stationed in Korea from the PX. They carry a japan canon warranty. But I do not think it would have been honored if I needed warranty work when I got back. Also have gotten cameras equipment from the PX in germany when I was station there, the lens that I got came with the japanese warranty cards also.

Pretty sure if I went to the PX at a US base with the receipt, I would have gotten it service without an issue. But if I sent it to canon USA. I may have had to pay the service fees.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 8:35 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
There are probably many reasons for a camera to have been purchased in another country and then brought into Canada where it finally needs repairs. Im just a simple guy. The camera says Nikon, its a Nikon camera, so Nikon should fix it. They are going to charge the snot for the repair arent they? And even if its a warranty repair, how much do they lose? Even in terms of good will.
Oh they will fix it for a fee, its just not covered under warranty.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote