Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 23, 2010, 8:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
And after my scanning sessions last night my wife said. Great pics, but it's very striking how inferior the quality is to your 5DMkII.
My guess is that the limitation is more in your scanner than the camera and film. Don't have a solution, though.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 8:52 PM   #12

Location: In mountainous California or Arizona or Guatemala or somewhere.

Time to sell, eh? This is the BEST time in history to buy high-quality film gear. It is thus the WORST time in history to sell it, because you'll get a pittance. My bro-in-law (former wedding fotog) has an extensive Bronica setup that he no longer uses but won't won't sell because he'll be lucky to make back 5% of what he paid for it.

I keep 135 carts in a few cams so I know I can keep shooting when all my batteries have died. Well, because they're fun, too, especially the Praktica FX3 with the top viewfinder, and the Voigtlander Vito II 135 and Ikonta B 521/16 and KW Patent-Etui 6x9 folders, loaded with IR or copy or litho film. Areas still exist where film trumps digital.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 1:55 AM   #13
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
My guess is that the limitation is more in your scanner than the camera and film. Don't have a solution, though.

brian
The Coolscan V is a pretty decent scanner, better than the Epson V750 for 35mm for sure.

The Hassleblad Flextight scanners come in at 9,000 and 13,000. They might bring the quality a little bit closer. Not equal (except possibly for very fine grain BW) but at least closer. The full commercial-grade drum scanners charge out at around 50 a frame, and for colour work still won't get the quality of the 5DMkII, certainly not at anything over ISO100. *shrug*

But of course with a better scanner and better software, and let's not forget better technique and skill, better results will follow. But I need master-level knowledge and skill to achieve with film what is trivial with my digital equipment.

I wish it were not so. To a large degree it comes down to how important the process is, if your photography is all about the final image then digital holds all the cards. However if the whole process of shooting and developing and processing as much as the end result then film is far more compelling.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 3:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
Time to sell, eh? This is the BEST time in history to buy high-quality film gear. It is thus the WORST time in history to sell it, because you'll get a pittance. My bro-in-law (former wedding fotog) has an extensive Bronica setup that he no longer uses but won't won't sell because he'll be lucky to make back 5% of what he paid for it.

I keep 135 carts in a few cams so I know I can keep shooting when all my batteries have died. Well, because they're fun, too, especially the Praktica FX3 with the top viewfinder, and the Voigtlander Vito II 135 and Ikonta B 521/16 and KW Patent-Etui 6x9 folders, loaded with IR or copy or litho film. Areas still exist where film trumps digital.
Hum... I can get 50% of the money I spent. Not 5%. If i consider that i bought the Mamiya with 2 lenses in very favorable financial conditions (at that time one Argentine $ (peso) was equivalent to a dollar, absurd), the return is even greater.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 3:43 PM   #15

If you can get 50% and do not have any future ideas of medium format digital I would jump and sell now.

I follow eBay pretty close and nothing Mamiya over there is selling at anything like 50% of list. Lots of high prices but the ads just run over and over. I just bought a like new in the box 210mm Hoya lens with filters and cpl for my manual focus 645 for $35.00.

The prices on digital backs are dropping slowly but steady so if one had thoughts of going digital hanging onto an auto focus body might not be a bad idea. I missed the ad but an AF 645 body sold for $215 last week. I would snap one up at that price just to have one.

I still shoot 120 film for wildlife prints and while it lacks the instant gratification the prints are first rate and does Black and White above and beyond anything I have seen from a DSLR that shoots color then tries to convert.

It is a tough call

Steve
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 4:05 PM   #16

Old Boat Guy: Argentine is a different planet. A weird one.
But the main problem remains: how long will roll film last until it disappears from the market? If i were sure that Kodak or Fuji will sell roll film for years to come, i would not sell the Mamiya. At this very moment, I'm having troubles to buy 120 film here.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 4:22 PM   #17

I did not understand the scope of your problem. The format is not going away any time soon. Kodak and FujiFilm have always been at war over who is best when it comes to wet lab developing and for once we the consumer get the best end of the deal.

What if any issues would you have doing mail order? I cannot buy film locally and all of my color processing has to go out. Are there funny laws preventing the shipping of film?

At the risk of violating board rules if I can be of assistance I will.

Steve

Last edited by Old Boat Guy; Aug 24, 2010 at 4:24 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 4:36 PM   #18

Thanks for the help, but are you sure the format is not going away? You yourself say that you have problems buying and processing roll film. I'm afraid this is going to end up like vinyl. An expensive niche. If so i rather sell all my film gear now.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 5:27 PM   #19

I cannot buy film locally because my nearest town is 860 population and Woodville is the next with a population of about 5,000 and Wal-Mart here does not sell 120 or 220 film. I am in in between a national Forrest and a state refuge so I cannot buy anything special inside of 100 miles if even then. Everything I buy other than the basic staples are done via mail order.

As TCav pointed out "Hasselblad is still making film backs. As long as they're doing that, someone will make film to put in it." Mamiya still makes film backs and they would not do that if the film were to dry up tomorrow

Developing is as it has always been. My father taught me developing in Black and White (all we could afford) so out of respect for him I still use his old darkroom (that and I think it is cool) but Color always went out for developing.

The format is not going anywhere in a hurry and the film is here to stay for the foreseeable future.

Steve

And I am betting my 645 J on that :-)
Old Aug 24, 2010, 6:46 PM   #20

Do you know what's the shame? People like Mamiya factoring expensive prime lenses that will end up useless when technology changes.