Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 24, 2010, 10:04 PM   #21

Proper lenses are never useless.
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2010, 1:53 AM   #22
Super Moderator

120 film will probably not go away for the next 50 years. There will always be a market for it. Fuji and Kodak are still making a lot of money from film sales. Just not as much as in its heyday.

The selection of films will probably continue to shrink though till perhaps we end up with only perhaps from each of Fuji and Kodak - 1 or 2 slide films, 3 or 4 colour print films and 3 or 4 colour negative films.

Prices per roll and developing costs will continue to creep upwards. Film then, as is already the case, will be only for low-volume projects.

BW film will probably never go away - we'll have it for ever. It's cheap and easy to make, cheap and easy to develop, and easy enough to print or scan.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 3:19 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
And after my scanning sessions last night my wife said. Great pics, but it's very striking how inferior the quality is to your 5DMkII.

Zeiss Ikon, Zeiss 50mm f2 Planar lens, Nikon Coolscan 5 ED scanner.

And in fact she is clearly correct. In fact under most conditions I'd give the nod to her S90 over my film camera i.t.o. image quality.

And it takes so much effort and time to produce that inferior product, with a very sharp lens, a decent scanner, and the best colour print film ever made.

Now I know that there are film afficionados out there who (even with) my equipment could get much closer to the quality that is so easily available from digital, but I'm not a complete idiot or totally unskilled.

And yet... I still use my Zeiss Ikon because I love the camera. It's so much more fun to shoot with than a DSLR. And, as long as you have the time to work on the images it's not totally unpleasant doing so. If I were a professional though it would be totally different - digital all the way.

So that is where I see film in the future. For hobbyists. Those interested in the nostalgia of the old processes.

And as to the quality issue - well even 35mm film gives quality that is "good enough" for most purposes. Certainly fine for an 8x12 colour print, or 12x18 BW, or any size on canvas. And if the subject matter doesn't require very high resolution - like portraits for example then 35mm is still fine. And 6x7 still very good if you've got a good enough scanner.

Heck with the Mamiya and an Epson V750 you must be as good as a Canon 5DMkII, at least at low ISO, and probably better in BW.

If I could afford it though I think a Leica M9 would strike the right balance for me between my love of rangefinders and the convenience and quality of digital.
I've got a Mamiya medium format (220 Pro F) with three lenses (55mm W/A, 80mm Normal, 180mm telephoto)....I bought this equipment in the mid 80's.
I also have a Zeiss Super Ikonta B medium format and a Leica Rangefinder (film).
I enjoyed my film equipment...but I have to say, I'm enjoying my digital system much more. I have a Pentax K10D, KM and a bunch of lenses.
Reason is that I am snapping continually...or so it seems...the freedom to not have to budget each picture as I did with film is fantastic.
I try different angles, am much more adventurous...absolutely love the immediate feedback that I get with digital and didn't with film.
I think my photography has improved, immeasurably with digital.
The reason....shoot, shoot, shoot....experiment...assess, assess, re-evaluate (immediately) and try again, knowing what I need to change.

So although I've got some legendary film photographic equipment....when I go out on a photographic foray...I'm not reaching for the Leica RF, the Mamiya MF or the Zeiss....I've always got one of my digital SLR's in hand and ready to shoot.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2010, 4:27 PM   #24

This last post makes a lot of sense. Me too, i've learned a lot since going digital. The post processing is on my hands! The chance to clone easily, play with all kind of controls and changes, is infinite.
But... (there's always a but)... if film days ar not close, as i don't really need to sell the MF gear... i'm thinking twice.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2010, 4:31 PM   #25

Ordo, some of my family and old friends thought someday they would bury me with my favorite acoustic guitar. I thought so too. Times change. I sold my guitar last year and used some of the money to buy a lens. I have not regretted it.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2010, 5:05 PM   #26

That makes sense too Hawgwild.
I mean, selling to buy better lenses, not to be buried...
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2010, 5:52 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordo View Post
that makes sense too hawgwild.
I mean, selling to buy better lenses, not to be buried...
lol!

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote