Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 20, 2010, 2:07 PM   #1

Default 120 roll film last days?

How long we'll have 120 roll film until it fades away from the market?
I'm worried. May be it's time to sell my medium format Mamiya 7 camera? I could get some juicy dollars for the body and two lenses (65 mm. and 150mm.).
What do you think?
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2010, 2:54 PM   #2

Hasselblad is still making film backs. As long as they're doing that, someone will make film to put in it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 3:41 PM   #3
Super Moderator

There will be film around for as long as there is a market.

Already the variety is shrinking, but the quality of films available today is still excellent, better than ever.

There is still a lot of film being used.

In fact I am scanning some pics from my first roll of Ektar 100 at this very moment. Best color neg film I've ever seen!
Old Aug 22, 2010, 11:18 PM   #4

Yeah... But who's using film these days? And why?
Don't we end up scanning negs? Isn't it absurd?
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
Yeah... But who's using film these days? And why?
Don't we end up scanning negs? Isn't it absurd?
It might seem absurd, but if you're using some high-end film gear like yours, it makes a certain amount of sense, especially if you look at the digital equivalent. Not to mention, you can store the negs for fifty years, then your heirs can store them fifty more, without worrying about changing file formats and operating systems,

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 3:59 AM   #6
Super Moderator

And after my scanning sessions last night my wife said. Great pics, but it's very striking how inferior the quality is to your 5DMkII.

Zeiss Ikon, Zeiss 50mm f2 Planar lens, Nikon Coolscan 5 ED scanner.

And in fact she is clearly correct. In fact under most conditions I'd give the nod to her S90 over my film camera i.t.o. image quality.

And it takes so much effort and time to produce that inferior product, with a very sharp lens, a decent scanner, and the best colour print film ever made.

Now I know that there are film afficionados out there who (even with) my equipment could get much closer to the quality that is so easily available from digital, but I'm not a complete idiot or totally unskilled.

And yet... I still use my Zeiss Ikon because I love the camera. It's so much more fun to shoot with than a DSLR. And, as long as you have the time to work on the images it's not totally unpleasant doing so. If I were a professional though it would be totally different - digital all the way.

So that is where I see film in the future. For hobbyists. Those interested in the nostalgia of the old processes.

And as to the quality issue - well even 35mm film gives quality that is "good enough" for most purposes. Certainly fine for an 8x12 colour print, or 12x18 BW, or any size on canvas. And if the subject matter doesn't require very high resolution - like portraits for example then 35mm is still fine. And 6x7 still very good if you've got a good enough scanner.

Heck with the Mamiya and an Epson V750 you must be as good as a Canon 5DMkII, at least at low ISO, and probably better in BW.

If I could afford it though I think a Leica M9 would strike the right balance for me between my love of rangefinders and the convenience and quality of digital.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 4:07 PM   #7

Last two posts makes a lot of sense, really. Rotative scanning 6X7 negatives gives me 60Mb of info. That's a lot.
But let's see it in detail: I can only shoot 10 (yes, ten) 6X7 picks with the Mamiya 7 with a roll film. Then I have to send the roll to the lab, develop and make contacts, chose the best picks (usually 2-3 out of 10), send the picks to be scanned and receive my digital files to pp on Photoshop. It takes time and money.

My concern is if film days are out and it's time to get some money back from all my medium format stuff before it's too late.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 4:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
Last two posts makes a lot of sense, really. Rotative scanning 6X7 negatives gives me 60Mb of info. That's a lot.
But let's see it in detail: I can only shoot 10 (yes, ten) 6X7 picks with the Mamiya 7 with a roll film. Then I have to send the roll to the lab, develop and make contacts, chose the best picks (usually 2-3 out of 10), send the picks to be scanned and receive my digital files to pp on Photoshop. It takes time and money.

My concern is if film days are out and it's time to get some money back from all my medium format stuff before it's too late.
Ordo, throughout the last forty plus years, I have fought many personal battles with equipment. Rangefinder vs Reflex, Stop-down metering vs Open-aperature metering, manual focus vs auto focus, etc...But when I could afford a DSLR, I sold all my film stuff, although it was 35mm , not medium format. I guess what I am trying to say is, if it were ME, I would let the Mamiya go, and buy more digital stuff.. This is only my opinion, you understand!

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 4:47 PM   #9

I would guess that the people seriously using 120 film can do all that stuff themselves. And they will continue to do so. But, yeah, for you, it doesn't make a lot of sense. Unless you want a digital back for your Mamiya, I think you'd be better off selling it all before the prices drop too much.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 4:58 PM   #10

Time to sell. Thanks.