Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:10 AM   #11
Super Moderator

if silence is of paramount importance, you will need to use a p&s of some kind.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:12 AM   #12

I heard that there are custom-made cases that cost thousands and make the camera silent. I want the cheaper version of that.

But since I'm sure I won't find it, I'll probably just make a sound-proof box out of acrylic with a hole just big enough for the lens.
Track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 12:14 PM   #13

Here is a product that for $139 gives somewhere in the neighborhood of a 50% reduction in overall sound but more importantly deadens the most annoying of the frequencies.

http://www.adorama.com/CZM.html If you can sew these can be made at home for less than 20 bucks

An unlined acrylic box with a hole in the front tword your target will be more of a focusing amplifier than sound deadening. Acrylic will not absorb the metalic click frequencies (the shorter, faster sound waves that do not normally occur in nature) from the shutter so will therefore resonate around the inside until they find an outlet. Rigid structures do not absorb sound waves so without a material lining of the acrylic to absorb those waves and a good seal between the front of your box and the lens the plain acrylic box theory makes it worse not better.

If you are shooting in the heat it will make a great oven for your camera.

Steve

Last edited by Old Boat Guy; Aug 24, 2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 12:55 PM   #14

get a d300s and put in in quiet mode?
Old Aug 24, 2010, 5:49 PM   #15

I just reread my above post and feel I may have been a bit negative.

If you plan to build a box do not use acrylic. I have built a number of game trail boxes and they are easy, cheap, and quiet. But a bit bulky.

Go to your local lumber yard and buy or order a 3/16" Mahogany door veneer. Now go to an office supply and buy a 1/4" sheet of cork board. Quick trip to the hardware store should net you whatever you might need to mount the camera to the box and the box to a tripod if necessary. (mounting points to be reinforced) Consider your different options when choosing a box to lens gasket as there will be several. Some Felt weatherstripping would probably be optimal.

To cut sound your box must have a soft, textured inside surface and think about your climate when it will be in use. In a perfect world someone would spend the time cutting and fitting cork to make sure the inside of the box had no right angles.

Steve
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:33 AM   #16

If shutter noise is a problem then the easy way around it to buy a camera with an active CCD sensor.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote