Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 17, 2003, 1:15 PM   #1

Default Minolta g500 digital camera

I'm interested in purchasing a Minolta g500 digital camera. I was wondering if anyone has had problems with the red eye feature. Some reviews say there is a problem.
Motorjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2003, 1:27 PM   #2
Administrator

As a general rule, the closer the flash is to a camera's lens, the greater the potential for redeye. So, smaller cameras are much more prone to it. Even two Nikons I've owned (Nikon Coolpix 950, 990) were pretty bad with redeye. Beginning with the Nikon Coolpix 995, Nikon incorporated a pop-up flash (which helped to reduce it some, since the flash was located higher above the lens).

Redeye Reduction modes work by firing a preflash (or in some cases, a series of preflashes) prior to the main flash. This is designed to cause the pupils to shrink. This usually reduces, but does not often eliminate redeye.

If you don't already own an image editing package, you may want to download the free irfanview from http://www.irfanview.com (make sure to download the free plug-ins too).

Also, I generally shoot with Redeye Reduction turned off (I think that redeye reduction modes can spoil the photos, since the preflash used can change facial expressions).

To use irfanview to reduce redeye, zoom in on an eye using the + key. I usually zoom into to around 100%. Then, use your mouse to select the area around the red (square box).

Then, the redeye reduction menu choice will work. However, I usually don't use it this way. A better way is using the Effects, Effects Browser Menu Choice. You'll see redeye correction there, too. The difference is that you can change the amount applied. You'll see a before and after box to help you determine how much is needed.

Depending on the amount of red, sometimes I use as little as -35; or as much as +20. I even vary the amount by eye sometimes.

Note: be careful not to apply it more than once on the same eye, or apply too much. Otherwise, you'll get unwanted artifacts where the square box is located.

Also, if you change the amount applied under the Effects, Effects Browser Menu Choice, the Redeye Reduction Menu choice will also use that amount (but I find it better to always use the Effects Browser for more control).

If you look at my Konica KD-510z (Minolta G500) photo album, all photos ending in "fixed", had redeye corrected using irfanview. Here is the link:

http://www.pbase.com/jcockfield/konica_kd510z
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2003, 1:43 PM   #3

I usually have the subject of my photo look away from the camera lens by about 10 degrees. Example is have them look at your right or left shoulder instead of at the camera. I have found that this technique helps reduce red eye problems.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2003, 10:06 PM   #4
lux

Can I ask what made you settle on the G500 as opposed to the other ultra-compact cams--S400, Z4, S4, P10... etc.

I'm trying to decide on a camera myself :/
lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2003, 10:35 PM   #5
Administrator

I bought mine after researching the available pocketable models, looking at things like CCD Size, Flash Range, User Control of Parameters used most often, image quality, etc.

I actually tried a P10, but wasn't happy with the metering. I ruled out some of the smaller cameras, because I didn't want to go with a CCD quite as dense.

I think the Canon S400 would also make a good choice, but I've been very pleased with my Konica KD-510z (Minolta G500).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote