Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 6, 2010, 4:03 PM   #1

Default External hard-drive....

I'm looking for something to externally store (temporary) my pictures while I'm working on them or deciding what to keep or dump. I want to be able to call them back up to Photo Shop, etc, to work on them, but not store them there. Any ideas guys?
eddie haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2010, 4:41 PM   #2

I use an external HD with aperture. I store all my photos there as I created a library on the external HD that aperture uses. It access the files just the same way as the library I have on my compute. But having it off the computer keeps the photos from eating up all the space on HD. So I think photo shop should have a similar option with multiple locations to access photos.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 5:18 PM   #3
Administrator

What PC model do you have?

Does it have an eSATA port?

If so, I'd probably get an eSATA attached drive for it (as that will be much faster compared to a USB 2.0 attached drive).

Or, if you don't have an eSATA port, I'd probably get a USB 3.0 PCIe card for it (assuming you have a PCIe slot available in your PC model). Here's an example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-006-_-Product

More here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...CE&PageSize=20

If your PC does not have a PCIe slot, you'll have to use a PCI card instead. Examples:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...o%20USB%20Card

Then, buy a USB 3.0 docking station for around $37 delivered. Here's one example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-076-_-Product

More choices:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...CE&PageSize=20

Then, buy a SATA drive (or drives) to use with it (most docking stations accept both 2.5" SATA drives and 3.5" SATA drives). Here are some 1TB and larger SATA drives, sorted by lowest price first:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...20and%20higher

That setup allows you to buy bare drives (which are usually less expensive than external drives in enclosures) so that you can plug in any SATA drive you have and use it for temporary storage, making disk image backups, etc.

Personally, I prefer the convenience of that type of setup (docking station versus dedicated external drives), as it offers more flexibility at a lower total cost if you have multiple drives you're using for backup purposes.

If you're on a tighter budget, leave out the USB 3.0 card and order just the docking station and a backup drive instead (and the USB 3.0 docking stations will still work with a USB 2.0 port, but you'll get much slower transfer speeds compared to USB 3.0).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 6:36 PM   #4

Jim: Is it possible to download directly from the camera to a portable hard disk?
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 6:48 PM   #5

I use a netgear storage central unit attached to my wireless router (also hard wired to the PC desktop and accessable via wireless on laptop. The device allows me to put in any size hard drive and format them for use in the device. I can even change out drives if needed as long as I attach (via a menu) the new drive when inserted in. I am currently use 2x 1TGB drives with no issues for long term storage of my photos.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 9:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie haskell View Post
I'm looking for something to externally store (temporary) my pictures while I'm working on them or deciding what to keep or dump. I want to be able to call them back up to Photo Shop, etc, to work on them, but not store them there. Any ideas guys?
Does it have to be an external drive? If you have the space for another internal drive, I think that would be the best bet for your stated purpose.
I keep a separate partition on my second hard drive for basically this purpose. Can also use one for scratch disk (for photoshop) for better performance.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 10:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie haskell View Post
Just go to costco and buy a couple of those USB drives. Doesn't matter which ones. You'll instantly realize how flexible this makes you. you can switch to another computer in a minute.

The big gain is when you replace your computer and just plug the drive in and you're up!. I suggest storing all data on external drives. Just O/S and apps on the internal. Makes backups/restores easier. I use 2 externals and synctoy from ms to back up my data.

The other suggestions are mostly fine to great but since you're even asking this, I doubt if you're ready to add cards or drawers or whatever. Stay simple. It'll work just the same.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 2:45 AM   #8

You can download photos from the camera directly to an external hard drive in aperture. All you need to do is be in the aperture library. So I think it will have the same ability with photoshop.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 6:43 AM   #9

I'm with Brian on this one - an internal hard drive will be less expensive, and easy to install if there is a free bay in the computer case and room in the controller.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 6:47 AM   #10

If you don't have an eSATA port, an external drive will be slower than an internal drive, so you probably won't want to work on images while they're stored there. You can use an external drive for backup, but it will be slower than what you're accustomed to with your internal drive.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote