Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 9, 2010, 4:10 PM   #1

Default Refurbish Camera, buy or not to buy?

Hello,

Some of us are not lucky to buy same camera with same price. There is an option for to buy same camera with less money, these camera's called "Refurbished", if i understand correctly, unsold cameras send back to manufactures and they refurbish the product and they send these Refurbished ones to stores again. Refurbished cameras are cheaper than other cameras.

Under the name of Refurbish, what cause this money reduce? How can Refurbish a camera takes it's price down?

I know warranty gets down to 90 days mostly. I searched the forum about this but i couldn't understand what they do to cameras at factory and how can prices go down like that? Could you explain it please?

Also as i said in topic, should i buy one for me? What is your experience with these kind of products?
imut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2010, 8:28 PM   #2

Unsold cameras, to the best of my knowledge, are not repackaged as refurbished, unless they were looked at in a store and found to be defective in some way. Usually, a camera is returned due to a defect, and repaired at the factory, then returned to a dealer as refurbished. Very often, the original purchaser has already registered the camera, so it cannot be sold as new. (even if the return was under a 'no questions' return policy, and there was nothing wrong with it.)
If you buy a refurbished camera from a reputable dealer (check first), and find something wrong with it out of the box, the dealer will accept a return and replace it. (some will refund or replace at your option)
Some of the really cheap places be a little harder to deal with on returns and refunds.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 9:25 PM   #3

imut-

Who actually does the refurbishing is really the critical question. Refurbishing can be done by somebody in their garage, and still legally sold as a "refurbished" camera. So you have to know who is doing the refurbishing, as step #1.

As you might expect, a camera refurbished by the camera manufacturer is much preferred to a camera refurbished by somebody without the proper standards, and the equipment to verify that the refurbished unit does indeed fully meet the manufacturer's initial camera model standards.

Yes, you also only receive a 90 day guarantee on a refurbished camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 4:27 AM   #4

I made a little search which products refurbised or not.

There are 3 kind of products, here with their condititons. These are sent to factory to be refurbished.

1-) Package damaged (best condition)
2-) Cameras in expos which everyone pinched a little bit
3-) Damaged or returned products from customers.

VTphotog, indeed i need to look at that, reputable seller.

Quote:
Refurbishing can be done by somebody in their garage, and still legally sold as a "refurbished" camera.
How can this be true? I am really suprised. Don't they send to factory? If this is the situation, reputable seller is a must when you want to buy refurbished camera.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 5:01 AM   #5

There are manufacture factory refurbished and 3rd party refurbished. Buy a factory refurbish like canon or olympus or any of the other brands are fine. But with 3rd party refurbish. The can be cameras sent to non manufacture repair centers. So you may not get the real manufacturers parts when they fix the camera. Most of these come form extend warranty companies and so on or on trade in promotions. That is why they are allot less then factory refurbished cameras. You need to be careful. As they might not preforms as well.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 12:34 PM   #6

Refurb generally relates to the camera was found to have defects and was returned to be reworked and I wouldnt touch a refurb unless it was done by the factory. A lot of times these are like new cameras that had an issue and were returned or the route to just give the buyer a new one and sent in the old was used.
Bodies returned for no questions policies just because someone decided they didnt like it are not listed as refurbs, they are listed as open box, including flloor samples.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 1:10 PM   #7

It is hard to understand if refurbished in factory or not. Because i ask this question to sellers and they didn't answer me correctly and i believe they choose to tell me "refurbished in factory" the only clue i have is this, big brands like canon or olympus like shoturtle said can be realy refurbised at factory. I ask them for Z-915 and Z-950, it is really so atractive because price goes down nearly half of.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 1:29 PM   #8

I did some homework when I was looking for a dslr camera, and ended up with a factory refurbished Nikon D5000.
I came across several explanations from various quarters.
"pulls" off the assembly line to check quality.
"returns" as someone else mentioned.
Another was probably nearer the point, excess production the manufacturer cannot shift, rather than undercut their distributors, they cut their losses and repackage them in plain boxes and call them refurbished.
Truth is, probably all explanations are correct.
Just John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 8:15 PM   #9

I purchased my Minolta D7hi refurbished, 6 years ago, and it is still working fine. I did get the sensor replaced (free-factory recall) a couple years ago, though. Still use it, and still like it.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote