Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 14, 2010, 9:35 AM   #11
BDD

Thanks for the suggestions Peripatetic. I know it can be done. If I'm willing to go for a 24" monitor vs a 27". A lesser Dell desktop...etc. But I do want the largest screen I am willing to pay for and if possible a relatively powerful desktop that will last me for a few years. Outfitted the way I want. Though, I suppose a well equipped Dell 7100 would do too...probably wouldn't notice the difference between a computer with an Athlon Phenom processor and an Intel i7.

I priced out a 7100 for just under $1100 CAD. Could add a $1300 Dell U2711 monitor. Not bad for under $2500.00 CAD. As I said I don't do any serious post-processing most of the time any how. I guess a well equipped 7100 would suffice...

In the end, being that I don't do serious post processing (especially with colors), then I suppose I would be happy with an 27" iMac and an Epson R1900 (or R3880). And honestly, getting an "exact" or "near" match between the monitor and printer for me isn't important. As I will be only printing for me (a hobbyist...and friends to see...mostly me). So as long as the monitor and printer are calibrated (ColorMunki) and the difference in color tone isn't too far off (or wrong) I should be happy. The difference would probably be in the gradations of color tone. The resulting prints should still be more than pleasing still.

Last edited by BDD; Sep 14, 2010 at 10:04 AM.
BDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2010, 9:44 AM   #12

Actually, the only reason to get a wide gamut monitor is if you'll be doing a lot of post processing and color correction. Photoshop (et al) can preserve color information in its native file format; if you don't have a wide gamut monitor, you just can't see it. But if you'll be playing with the color when using a monitor that can't accurately represent the colors used in an image, then you have the potential to permanently degrade the color of that image.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2010, 10:32 AM   #13
Super Moderator

Also it depends on how many proof prints you are willing to throw away.

The potential advantage of perfect profiling is that you don't have to throw ANY away. But if you are printing low volumes, then ditching the occasional print because you want to tweak the output isn't the end of the world.

Obviously if you are printing dozens of prints a day you cannot afford the cost in ink to tweak each one to your satisfaction.

Chances are you can get close enough with an iMac and colorimeter to keep you pretty happy. Using sRGB as your color gamut means you have less to work with on the monitor, but your chances of matching your print to what you see on the monitor are better. But you won't be using the full gamut that the printer is capable of. Does this matter? Probably not in practice.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:10 AM   #14
BDD

I think, being that I'm printing mainly for me, I should be happy with the results using a calibrated iMac & Epson photo printer (R1900 or R3880). As long as the difference in color between what I see on the monitor and print aren't too great. And they shouldn't. And in the end won't matter. As long as the dark green leaves in the photo look "dark green" (being a shade or two off won't be a big deal).

It only really matters if you're making a living as a photographer.

I think I'll either just go with a 27" iMac or a Dell 7100/Dell U2711 combination. Either setup should more than suffice. Though with the Dell setup I should get a "closer match". Again not that it truly matters for me in the end being a hobbyist.

And whether I used the whole gamut of the printer or not...don't think it matters either. I'm not sure even a "pro" would use the whole gamut.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 12:00 PM   #15
Super Moderator

I just got an XPS7100 6-core phenom for work. It's blisteringly fast.

The iMac is lovely though. Either one will serve you well I'm sure.

Go for the R3880. :-)
Old Sep 14, 2010, 12:38 PM   #16
BDD

I'm guessing the AMD Phenom™ II X6 1055T would be the 6-core Athlon. And as I said I doubt I'd notice the difference between it and an Intel i7 equipped desktop (Dell 9000 or iMac). Unless I had the two side-by-side running the same app. So, maybe I'll go with the AMD Dell system (w/ Dell U2711 monitor) because I would have a more capable monitor. Allowing me to see a closer match with the print (than I would with the iMac). And possibly a slightly faster computer.

Would the output from the 3880 be that much better than a 1900? Would it be that obvious even to some one who hasn't seen much prints from hi-end printers?

Last edited by BDD; Sep 14, 2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 4:24 PM   #17
Super Moderator

Yes, on the printer, go for the 3880. Worlds apart.

Phenom v i7 you probably won't see a difference, but the price of the AMD is very good.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 5:10 PM   #18
BDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
Yes, on the printer, go for the 3880. Worlds apart.

Phenom v i7 you probably won't see a difference, but the price of the AMD is very good.
Ok. Then the 3880 it is. Done.

Now as for going with a Dell AMD/u2711 monitor combination or 27" iMac...don't know yet. My buddy can get a 10% off corporate discount still on Dells so.. But who knows.

Thanks for your help peripatetic and all!

Last edited by BDD; Sep 14, 2010 at 5:13 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 1:55 AM   #19
Super Moderator

If you compare the cost of the ink cartridges it's actually cheaper to get the 3880 than a 1900 with enough ink to make up the difference because you get a full set of the larger cartridges in the 3880. The ink for the 3880 is less than half the cost of the 1900 ink. And the 3880 is a much better quality printer. Very noticable when you compare prints side-by-side.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 8:33 AM   #20
BDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
If you compare the cost of the ink cartridges it's actually cheaper to get the 3880 than a 1900 with enough ink to make up the difference because you get a full set of the larger cartridges in the 3880. The ink for the 3880 is less than half the cost of the 1900 ink. And the 3880 is a much better quality printer. Very noticable when you compare prints side-by-side.
Good to know. Thanks.

Actually, the salesman at our local camera shop Vistek, recommended the 3880 over the 2880 or 1900 too. I wonder if the 3880 doesn't out sell the other two.

Any how when the time comes I'll most likely than not buy the 3880. Do you own one?