Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 15, 2010, 4:11 PM   #1

Default Why does this site call previews "reviews"?

I Googled "Canon S95 review", and saw a page on the Steve's Digicams main site titled "Canon Powershot-S95 Review: Overview":

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/canon/powershot-s95/canon-powershot-s95-review.html

But hold on! There is no review there! Only a Preview which is basically just repeating what Canon's PR team stated.

I hope this is a mistake. It is not very nice to call a press release a "review." Both the title of the page and the URL say "review", but when you open the page, oops!, just a preview...

Any thoughts on this from anyone else?
camvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2010, 4:20 PM   #2

Camvard, if you go to the top of this page, click on the "review" button, then click on Canon, you'll see this:

PowerShot SX30 IS
09/14/2010
35x
2.7"
Preview
<LI class=color>PowerShot G12
09/14/2010
5x
2.8"
Preview
EOS 60D SLR
08/26/2010
Canon EF/EFS
3.0"
Preview
<LI class=color>PowerShot S95
08/19/2010
3.8x
3.0"
Preview
PowerShot SX130 IS
08/19/2010
12x
3.0"
Preview
<LI class=color>PowerShot SD4500 IS
08/19/2010
10x
3.0"
Preview
<LI class=color><LI class=color>These cameras are being previewed, not reviewed, at least not yet. In some cases, when cameras are just released, it takes some time for anyone to do a thorough review. I'm just a member like yourself, not a Moderator, although one may pop in to address this for you.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 4:20 PM   #3

Yes. I've seen other sites do the same thing. I hate it! When I get half-way thru and the words are looking familiar, my spidey-sense tingles. Then I feel had.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 4:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwild View Post
These cameras are being previewed, not reviewed, at least not yet. In some cases, when cameras are just released, it takes some time for anyone to do a thorough review.
Yes, that's my point. It's called a "review", but is really just a rehashed press release (not even a preview, as the headline on the page itself claims).
Old Sep 15, 2010, 4:47 PM   #5

camvard. I'm sorry this is causing you some aggravation.

Our "Previews" are something we put together when a camera is released, which is not "just a rehashed press release". We take the time to look over the materials from the manufactures, read the press release, and then put together the pages you see. If we get a pre-production camera in, then we will do a hands on first look. Once we get the camera in house for review (which can be months later, once the production cameras are actually available), we build off of the "Preview" page with the rest of our hands on review.

The reason you see "review" in the url is because of how our content management system works. Since that page will be the first page of the review once the camera is in for testing, the link is generated that way. The other obvious reason for this process (which almost all review sites use, in some form or another) is SEO (search engine optimization).

I hope this helps everything make sense.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 5:27 PM   #6

Thanks for the information, billy. It's just a bit frustrating because I've managed to be fooled a few times while looking for S95 reviews because I keep forgetting that it's just a preview, or I hope there's finally an actual review there...
Old Sep 15, 2010, 5:40 PM   #7

Understandable.

I have the S95 in house right now, so if you have any questions about it please ask away. The review is about a week or two out, but so far I'm enjoying the S95 as much as, if not more than I did the S90.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote