Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 17, 2010, 10:57 AM   #1

Default LCD screen protector for DSLR?

Just wondering how many people use these. I know on my cell phones and GPS and things like that I put them on since I am touching the screen all the time or putting it in my pocket. But I wonder if it is necessary for DSLRs since it won't be in your pocket rubbing against keys or anything.
dj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2010, 2:30 PM   #2

I had one on my iPod touch until I upgraded and I didn't bother again. I bought one for my sony but I haven't put it on. Really the only thing that will touch the lcd is your nose. It doesn't scratch that easily. I guess since I have it, eventually i'll put it on but ot's not urgent.I wouldn't advise anyone to buy one for a dslr. Now perhaps for a p&s if you carried it in your pocket or purse sans case.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 2:47 PM   #3

Well, its always possible, and probable, that you will scratch the LCD, even if you're an obsessive caring photographer. That is nasty and will affect the resell value of your camera. So, given the quality of LCD protectors and the cheap price, why not use them?
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 3:00 PM   #4

I use them on all my lcd, and have saved allot of scratches. If you are really concern about scratches, giottos has a schott glass lcd protector. And it is almost impossible to scratches.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...tialSearch=yes
Old Sep 17, 2010, 4:18 PM   #5

I am not super worried about scratches on my screen, but I'm more worried about something cracking it.
So I went for something like this. Although it will reduce the brightness of the screen, it will sustain a lot of impact. Plus the A200's screen is TERRIBLE in bright light, so I don't use it for review then anyway.
Note: mine was a cheap HKong knockoff, and it fits slightly loose. So I may have gotten more scratches from it then without it.
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 9:24 AM   #6

I dont bother with them, they always end up needing to be replaced if you actually subject your camera to that much stress anyhow and they degrade the image on the LCD. I send my bodies in annually for service under Canon CPS. If the screen looks like it needs to be replaced I get charged like $40 for a new one. I have only needed to do this once on a body I bought used. As long as you take reasonable precautions like not dumping a bunch of gear on top of it in a bag the chances of getting scratched are pretty remote. The worst I have ever done was putting the body in the bag and folded the strap in on top of it. I got a few very minor micro scratches that before they would show themselves had to be held at precisely the right angle in bright light to even see, no impact on viewing the screen.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 10:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
I use them on all my lcd, and have saved allot of scratches. If you are really concern about scratches, giottos has a schott glass lcd protector. And it is almost impossible to scratches.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...tialSearch=yes
I have been using a Giottos protector for over a year now. It's a high quality protector and worth the $. There is no appreciable reduction in the brightness of the LCD screen.

I am not hard on my equipment but a bit of additional protection doesn't hurt.

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 10:29 AM   #8

They don't cause any problems, and they might prevent some. So, why not?
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 11:08 AM   #9

Just as an aside, it's funny how we really want to protect OUR posessions but the family oriented things (like the car) worth much more, don't get that tender loving care.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 11:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
Just as an aside, it's funny how we really want to protect OUR posessions but the family oriented things (like the car) worth much more, don't get that tender loving care.
Don't you change your oil?
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote