Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 17, 2010, 5:28 PM   #1

Default Help organizing photos

For the past several months I've just dumped photos in a Temp folder.
Now I have to organize 3000.
Right now the stuff that is giving me difficulty is my nature stuff, which makes up the bulk of my photos.
When I shot with a P+S, I carefully organized them into about 20 categories (stone, trees, macro, butterflies, Sacred Peppers, etc). But right now I have so many I don't know what to do.
So this is purely nature, since family is pretty straightforward (mainly by event)
So my options are:
-Sit down for a few hours and organize them.
-Ruthlessly delete. If I don't want to spend the time organizing it, it isn't important enough to save.
-I though of tagging (drag and drop on Picasa would be easy), but if I end up migrating to a new HDrive, I may loose the database or whatever and I can't let that happen.
-be really broad (have like 3 folders: trees, creatures, sky)
-??????

Any past threads or external links someone could point to?

Thanks!
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2010, 6:00 PM   #2

I am still working my way thru the same concerns. I still organize by event. even if it were a nature pic, it's part of an outing with a date and a purpose. I'd like to use a tagging s/w, but I really wonder if future s/w will read the tags I add (i.e.: i don't know enough about the internals of jpg). So I don't tag right now.

I took about 600 pics today (divide by 3 for good stuff cause I was bracketting). Sorting them is harder than I expected. Maybe I'll cut back on the bracketting for future outdoor picture shoots. and just accept that some will be no good. The pp is becoming too much like work.

For you tho, one thought is to move all those pics to a "ToBeSorted" directory and give some hard thought into what you will do with new pics. You will always have time to sort those old ones, but if new ones come in and join the pile, you'll never finish.

And you may find that your new organizational method will accomodate the majority of the old. 3000!!! That would weigh on my mind.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 6:41 PM   #3

You can categorize: things with flesh, things without flesh, Sacred Peppers (one pick folder). But that will not help you too much.
So, sit down for a couple of hours (or days, or months) and organize your picks in a way you can understand. You know: folders, files, etc.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 6:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
For you tho, one thought is to move all those pics to a "ToBeSorted" directory and give some hard thought into what you will do with new pics. You will always have time to sort those old ones, but if new ones come in and join the pile, you'll never finish.
Good advice. Plus it means I can push the current ones farther back into ToDo.
One I heard a fellow fotog do is being pretty ruthless about deleting and then just having a BEST folder. It would be a better way to revisit the really good ones.

Plus I probably should really delete a lot of my old ones because they are pretty much crap.

The main problem is that I really don't like doing a lot of photo work on the computer (unless it is a specific shoot and I want them to look good). Plus it's very easy for me to be distracted by the beast called the Internet.

The new Sony a55 has a built in GPS tagger. I wonder how that would work......
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 9:33 PM   #5

I am a very ruthless culler. I delete if I don't like a shot - I delete all but the best of a sequence (unless I'm animating) - I delete at the end of the day - I delete at the end of the month.
Ask yourself if the world really needs the 37 shots of the cute (grand) daughter all taken in five minutes time. How many of them are going to be looked at? Have you ever sat at a friend's house while he showed 500 slides of his vacation in Yellowstone? Apply the same thought to your own work, and people will start to think of you as a photographer, and not just a guy with a camera.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote