Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:59 AM   #1

Default Little mark on lens - any need to worry?

Hi

First time posting here and hope you can help.

I've just bought a Panasonic TZ10 and very happy with it. I only used it twice until today inside the house as I didn't yet have a memory card. However I used it today to take a picture of a ladybird that was on the door in my bedroom (memory card has now arrived) and I noticed a small mark on the lens.

It's only visible in certain light and it's quite hard to describe.
Basically the lens reflects green a little when viewed in certain light, and this is when the mark appears. It looks like a U turned 90 degrees, with a small dot at the top and a small dot somewhere near the bottom. I'd say it's about 5mm in total. I was horrified and thought the lens was scratched, but it doesn't look like a scratch, it almost looks 'manufactured'.

I did try wiping it away with a microfibre cloth (very gently) but nothing. I've taken some photos with it since and no mark is visible on the photo, so I'm wondering whether this isn't a mark but instead something actually on the lens doing something. I can't think what, and it's probably more likely a manufacturing defect, but any advice greatly appreciated.
kentmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 18, 2010, 12:37 PM   #2

I don't suppose you have another camera that you could use to take a photo of it, and then post that photo here.

It sounds like a flaw in the lens coating. The way you describe it, it sounds like a regular mark like something that was manufactured to look that way, but it just happened to show up in an unexpected and unintended place. Is that accurate? ... or is the mark more irregular and random than that?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 1:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I don't suppose you have another camera that you could use to take a photo of it, and then post that photo here.

It sounds like a flaw in the lens coating. The way you describe it, it sounds like a regular mark like something that was manufactured to look that way, but it just happened to show up in an unexpected and unintended place. Is that accurate? ... or is the mark more irregular and random than that?
Exactly that. I have got another camera, but I'm not sure if I'll get the mark to show by taking another photo, as it only appears in certain light and I'm not sure the other camera will pick it up.

I'll give it a go though.

It's just very odd how it isn't affecting the quality of the image and I do think it's where the coating has got a flaw in it.

What does the coating do exactly? Is it anti-glare?
kentmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 4:05 PM   #4

Lens coatings are used for multiple purposes including enhancing color and contrast, and to protect the lens.

It's likely that, if it is a flaw in a coating, that it is transparent. It may never affect image quality, but it just might someday. If that's what it is, notify the manufacturer.

But it's also possible that it's an internal reflection off some component inside the camera or lens, and will never show up anywhere else.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 8:00 PM   #5

Where on the lens is the mark? If it is off to the edge of the lens, it may very well be a manufacturer's logo. My eyeglasses have a number of marks which are only visible by reflected light. I can't tell they are even there, when I am wearing them.
It is possible that under some conditions, it could affect your photos - most likely when shooting with a strong light source in front or just off to the side of the camera.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 10:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
But it's also possible that it's an internal reflection off some component inside the camera or lens, and will never show up anywhere else.
I would put most of my bet on this one.
Pretty much any lens that you hald up to the light in just the right way will show a reflection of something else. I have more than once done a double take on this.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote