Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 20, 2010, 3:43 PM   #11
Super Moderator

Don't get too bogged down with IS, it's a tool like a flash or a tripod, it needs to be used in the right situations in the right way to get the most out of it. I have lenses with and without IS so as long as I know the limitations and how to use them I'm fine. People have shot for many years without the high ISO abilities that we have now without having IS and survived very well. I'm not saying I don't like my IS lenses but getting the right system is still key. If you get a camera just because it has IS and not checking other things you might be stuck changing systems down the road. This happened to me with my first system before I switched to Canon.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 5:56 PM   #12

Quote:
If you get a camera just because it has IS and not checking other things you might be stuck changing systems down the road. This happened to me with my first system before I switched to Canon.
I think i got the message
imut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 2:52 AM   #13

Location: In mountainous California or Arizona or Guatemala or somewhere.

After a half-century of shooting film and digicams, I got my first dSLR just over 2 years ago. I leaned towards Sony or Oly. A lens drove the decision: I wanted ultrawide, only Pentax and Oly had affordable ones, and Oly had downsides. Vicious user gripes about affordable Canikon bodies (among other things) drove me to the Pentax K20D.

Now I have ~100 lenses for that K20D, all but six being old manual glass -- AND THEY'RE ALL STABILIZED, even a 100-year-old viewcam lens on cheap bellows, a Schneider Betavaron enlarger zoom, a 1000mm Russian mirror, a Vemar 12mm fisheye, Meyer 40mm and Industar 50mm pancakes, as well as my Pentax 10-17, 18-250, 100-300, and Sigma 170-500 AF zooms.

Sometimes the IS (Pentax calls it SR, shake reduction) makes all the difference for getting a usable shot. And sometimes not. But it's there when needed. As Mark says, it's a tool. But I like having many tools handy: lenses, odd filters, software/firmware, ideas. Each has its places. Choose your toolkit carefully.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 4:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Don't get too bogged down with IS, it's a tool like a flash or a tripod, it needs to be used in the right situations in the right way to get the most out of it. I have lenses with and without IS so as long as I know the limitations and how to use them I'm fine. People have shot for many years without the high ISO abilities that we have now without having IS and survived very well. I'm not saying I don't like my IS lenses but getting the right system is still key. If you get a camera just because it has IS and not checking other things you might be stuck changing systems down the road. This happened to me with my first system before I switched to Canon.
Nice reply that.
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote