Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 20, 2010, 12:13 PM   #1

Default IS vs Non-IS?

Hello,

IS lenses are really expensive, they double the cost of lens. Non-IS lenses hasn't got IS ability of course and cheaper. Is there huge difference? Which lens should i buy?
imut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2010, 12:15 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Big question and one that's been discussed lots. If you shoot sports then you don't need IS, if you have a lens with IS you don't have to use it so you have a choice. Some lenses with IS/OS etc are not as good as their non IS/OS brother, the Sigma 17-70 and the Tamron 17-50 lenses are examples of this.

So basically what do you want to shoot and under what conditions will define what you need. Obviously there are bodies with IS built in so all your lenses have the benefit of IS at no extra cost.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 12:30 PM   #3

Yeah. That.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 12:31 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcav View Post
yeah. That.
lol....

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 12:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Obviously there are bodies with IS built in so all your lenses have the benefit of IS at no extra cost.
Noone mentioned this before even in comparison topics, then k-x would be better over 500D.

Is there only pentax which have IS on its body or any other entry level dslr?
Quote:
Yeah. That.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 12:56 PM   #6

Exactly!
There are no absolutes. If there was there would be only one kind of camera on the market (and likely only one company making it). From the job that needs to be done, identify and prioritize the technical requirements. Then map those requirements to equipment features.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 1:28 PM   #7

Pentax, Sony , and most Olympus dSLRs use sensor shift image stabilization in the body. Canon and Nikon use optical image stabilization in the lens.

The difference is that, while Canon and Nikon have more OEM and third party lenses available, many are not stabilized, including most of the lenses on the used market, and stabilized lenses are bigger, heavier and more expensive.

Pentax and Sony have smaller selections of lenses, but all the lenses on the used market will be stabilized just like the new ones.

(Olympus used an entirely new lens mount when it when digital, so none of it's old SLR lenses will work on its new dSLRs.)

What matters is what you want to shoot. If you shoot sports/action/wildlife, you need to use shutter speeds fast enough to prevent motion blur due to subject movement, and that will also mean that you'll be using shutter speeds that are fast enough to prevent motion blur due to camera shake. So you don't need image stabilization, whether it be in the lens or the body.

But if you want to shoot anything else that doesn't require a fast shutter speed, then you may need to worry about motion blur due to camera shake. So you might need image stabilization, whether it be in the lens or the body.

If you've got it, you can turn it off; if you don't have it, you can't turn it on.

Last edited by TCav; Sep 20, 2010 at 1:30 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 1:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Exactly!
Then map those requirements to equipment features.
And budget...
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 2:38 PM   #9

Quote:
And budget...
Definetely, IS lenses double the price. . There are some without warranty lens which comes from abroad. You just need to trust nothing more.

Thanks all for explanations.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 2:42 PM   #10

What are the differences, if any, between IS of different makers? Or, for that matter, how has it changed over the years? My first 'good' camera did not have IS, yet it does some fantastic shooting...sony dsc717.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote