Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 25, 2010, 10:57 AM   #11

Of the entire Canon Lineup I would be most concerned with the Rebel series.
All of my gear is weather sealed and I wont flinch in a light shower but breakout the Aquatech raincoat when its really going to be pouring. In the Canon line the only DSLR body that is weather sealed is the 1D series.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2010, 2:09 PM   #12

isn't the 7d weather sealed too? and 50d? cant say i know that much about canon bodies but i thought the higher end models were all sealed along with the L lenses
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 8:37 PM   #13

Unfortunately they are not. Only the 1D bodies are weather sealed and higher end is depenadant on who is defining it. The 50D is higher end consumer and 7D is prosumer, the 1D are professional series. Some L glass requires a filter be screwed into the end to complete the weather sealing so even the L word doesnt make it so. Perfect case in point the 85L that is not a cheap chunk of glass either. Weather sealing was the biggest upgrade on the 1.4x and 2X TCs too, the first versions were not weather sealed. Even so I still try not to tempt fate and either put it away or break out the raingear when its time.

Last edited by JustinThyme; Sep 30, 2010 at 8:39 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 8:42 PM   #14

The 60D is a water seal body now
Old Oct 3, 2010, 9:57 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The 60D is a water seal body now
Sorry but its not. I just had to look to make sure I wasnt putting my foot in my mouth. It does have better sealing in some aspects to keep out dust and moisture but its still not sealed. There is a lot of misinformation out there that I just saw and arguements going back and forth. So to save thrid party hearsay Ill simply refer to Canons information only. I read through the entire specification and features lists and the is no mention of weather sealing. The MKIV specifically states it in its features list, this is not present in the 60D however it is mentioned in the 7D. So as of now the only bodies manufactured by Canon that Canons specs state they are water and dust resistant, the 1D bodies and the 7D where the 7D is not described by Canon as robust as the 1D Here is the excerpt from the 1D MKIV followed by the 7D. The 1D series says specifically that it will take it, the 7D just says seals are built to resist water and dust but makes no claim that they actually work nor that everything is sealed. Huge difference in the wording of the two.

MKIV
A lightweight and incredibly strong magnesium alloy construction helps the EOS-1D Mark IV to endure almost any condition, and the EOS-1D Mark IV features a shutter designed to shoot 300,000 cycles. All the EOS-1D Mark IV’s controls, buttons and external covers are dust- and water-resistant, ensuring uninterrupted operation whether shooting in the rain, in a windstorm and everything in between. Dust is managed with the advanced Canon EOS Integrated Cleaning System, which helps to suppress dust generation, removes existing dust and uses the combination of Dust Delete Data and DPP software to eliminate any remaining dust spots on your images. When the EOS-1D Mark IV is used with a dust- and water-resistant EF lens or external Speedlite, the entire camera system is nearly impervious to the elements.

7D
The EOS 7D is constructed of the highest quality materials, to exacting standards to ensure unfettered performance at all times. For example, the shutter can shoot at speeds up to 1/8000 sec. for 150,000 cycles; the chassis is built of lightweight and rigid magnesium, and the camera's seals are built to resist water and dust. This combination makes the EOS 7D ready for anything.

Last edited by JustinThyme; Oct 3, 2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 5:01 PM   #16

I went through the canon description, it is weather seal. My bad, no such thing in camera a water seal. Even the 1d is only weather seal not water seal
Old Oct 3, 2010, 7:47 PM   #17

Please link up that info because I read it front to back and saw no mention of weather seal on Canons spec sheet. Its all over the place on the net with insinuations and assumptions but not on Canons site and nothing originating from Canon. I read though every single Camera bodies features and spec list, the only two that showed anything relating to weather seal was the 1D and the 7D.

Here is where I am taking my info from.
http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/p...s_60d#Overview

There is no white paper available for it yet.

While it seems to be better than its predecessors its still not up to snuff, there are still openings with no seals. Canons press release quote regarding the build. "robust, densely packed compact body with increased resistance to water and dust."

Again please link the source so we can all be educated and more well informed. I have to stop by Canon Jamesburg tomorrow anyhow and Ill just ask them outright. Seems to me that if it were they would list it on their website in the features or spec sheet.

To the best of my knowledge the only body that Canon backs on weather sealing is the 1d series. Ill know for sure tomorrow.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 8:29 PM   #18

That is what I read in the same press release, increase resistance to water and dust form the press release. Better then what was in the 50D, which work well in the rain. Not like the 7D but it did a decent job.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 8:31 PM   #19

Now the k-7 and 7D I have seen people drop it into water, and were fine. That is water sealing.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 8:23 AM   #20

Yes the description is vague and better than what? What most folks are overlooking is the 60D is not an upgrade to the 50D but the T2i. Its like they took the rebel body and extended it just a bit and added a few xxd features. There are many stories out there of people dropping camera in water and them coming out OK if retrieved fast enough. I guess my bottom line is where is the line drawn by the manufacturer regarding when you take it in for repairs and it was a result of water damage from being in the rain. I know the 1D series is covered under warranty but cant speak for the rest. Im not willing to try out something just because its been reported by someone else that it can do certain things unless the manufacturer says the same. Just like buying a 1/2 ton pickup truck. Some will tell you it hauled a full ton with no problems but when you try it and the suspension collapses the dealer is going to laugh at you when you bring it in for warranty repair.