Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 23, 2010, 4:14 PM   #1

Default How weatherproof are DSLRs?

The post someone made about being caught in the rain had me thinking about that now. While I do have a weatherproof case, and I wouldn't go shooting my T1i out in the pouring rain, how much can it handle? If there is drizzle, or even a light rain and I just take it out for a couple shots and it just gets rained on a little bit and then put it away, is that ok? Or should you not use that camera at all if it is raining?
dj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2010, 4:22 PM   #2

Default Not Very

Consumer dslrs are not waterproof at all. Now, not to say one drop will kill them, but I would minimize exposure. If there's a chance you may be caught out in the rain, just have a plastic bag in your carry case to put the dslr and any lenses into. if you want to shoot still, investigate a sleeve. Not perfect but i'd use one under an umbrella without any concern for the camera.
an example:
http://henrys.ca/28252-OPTECH-RAINSL...8-9001132.aspx
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 5:47 PM   #3

It's not just the dSLR body. It's the lenses that can suffer a lot even from a soft rain.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 7:44 PM   #4

Weatherized DSLR cameras and lenses work well. However, you don't want to be out shooting in the rain with a non weatherized DSLR, or you will be replacing it.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 7:45 PM   #5

my d90 and 70-200 encountered a good amount of rain a while back and all was fine.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 8:21 PM   #6

get a dslr weather bag if you do not have a WR body and lens. It just adds that extra protection.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:34 AM   #7

I've used my E-620 w/kit 14-42 and 70-300 in drizzle/light rain without issues but I was also taking precautions. The lens not in use was in a water-resistant pocket on my photo vest which was under my raincoat. The camera/lens was under my raincoat when not actually taking photos. I was wearing a hat and raincoat hood when taking photos which provided a little protection. I ducked under shelter when I changed lenses. All this was on a photo walk and most of us didn't have weather resistant cameras and took about the same precautions, I didn't see that any of the cameras were affected. Strangely enough the only for sure weather resistant camera I saw through the entire event was an E-3.

Roel Hendrickx has gone into a swimming pool with his E-3 and both survived.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 5:40 PM   #8

i shoved my pentax k-7 in the shower to clean the dust off it - gave it a good drenching didn't come to the slightest harm - but it is very well water sealed most dslrs are not

will also add that on dpreview forums heard of one guy actually falling into the ocean with his k7 and it actually being submerged (albeit very briefly) and it still didn't come to any harm but would not recommend that and next time my k-7 needs a clean it wont be going in the bath instead of the shower =)
Pentax Photo Gallery

Last edited by John.Pattullo; Sep 24, 2010 at 5:43 PM.
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 10:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Pattullo View Post
i shoved my pentax k-7 in the shower to clean the dust off it - gave it a good drenching didn't come to the slightest harm ... next time my k-7 needs a clean it wont be going in the bath instead of the shower =)
I guess it depends on the water supply you have. My municipality has softer water than many nearby communities but even at that if you let the water even start to dry you'll have very hard calcium spots on glass surfaces unless you use a wetting agent or a distilled water flush.

A. C
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 10:26 PM   #10

not noticed anything on the lens - dried it with a microfiber cloth though but regardless i used the weather sealed kit lens to shower it - rarely shoot with that lens prefer my faster sigma lens which isn't weather sealed - but your right probably not a good idea with any good weather sealed glass - that said our water here is a private supply and seems to be exceptionally good never had calcium etc in washing machines etc and never used any softners
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote