Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 19, 2003, 4:06 PM   #1

Default Raw vs. JPEG for Nikon D100

Unfamiliar with shooting in RAW mode. What advantages does RAW give me over JPEG mode. I realize the compression issue, but am I going to see any difference in images printed at 4x6 or even 8x10 for everyday (non photo-studio quality) shots?

Just curious why I would want to go the extra step of bringing the images through Capture vs. just opening them in my Photoshop Home Edition.

Also, will capture allow me to add more "pop" to the colors in the images? I have noticed the D100 tends to undersaturate many of the deeper darker colors, like purple. Is this something I'll have to learn how to do in Capture?

Thanks for any replys!

Doug
dakzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2003, 4:16 PM   #2

RAW format is just that, the raw output form the CCD, without any camera magic(white balance/sharpening/ anything else) applied to the image. Depending on the camera you may also get a couple of extra bits in color depth that are not available after the jpg conversion is done.

Not sure what capture has in it, I used the adobe camera raw plugin and used PS for all the adjustments. The RAW function is now built into PhotoShop CS, as is the ability to work with 16bit color channels.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2003, 4:27 PM   #3

Quote:
am I going to see any difference in images printed at 4x6 or even 8x10 for everyday (non photo-studio quality) shots?
Based upon this criteria, you would see no difference in the pictue quality.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2003, 5:37 PM   #4

Doug, if you aren't going to print any larger than 8x10, then Capture is not necessary for you. Capture allows for enlarging images better than Photoshop, but to add the saturation "pop" you want, Photoshop will be a better tool. Shooting in NEF (Nikon's raw format) will allow you to do white balance corrections post shoot, allow for some leverage in adjusting the exposure, apply noise reduction, and save converted NEF's to a higher quality JPG than you could otherwise get straight from the camera (ie. 3MB files vs 6MB from Capture).
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2003, 8:40 AM   #5

Thanks for your feedback. I'll do some experimenting with both and determine which format works best for my purposes! Thanks again!
dakzoo is offline   Reply With Quote