Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 25, 2010, 3:58 PM   #1

Default Is My Camera Going to Die Soon?!

So, I've shot over 200,000 shots with my Canon T2i.

Why? Because I do Time-Lapse with photos, and one day takes 10,000 or more.

Is it true that it's theoretically rated at 100,000 shots?!?

So.. that means that my camera is just going to die after just two months of use?!

And if so, then how do people do Time Lapses? And am I supposed to get a new camera?

This is just awful!
Track is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2010, 6:18 PM   #2

That 100,000 shutter actuation rating is based on a statistical projection that the vast majority (90% to 95%) will last at least that long. There's no way for us to know what the average life expectancy of a shutter actually is, but it's probably several times that.

But keep us posted on your progress, would you?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2010, 6:36 PM   #3

I think I would worry more about the lens, unless you are taking all the photos with the lens wide open, and the focus set manually.
At a rate of a picture per less than 9 seconds, your time lapses must be very smooth indeed.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2010, 8:01 PM   #4

Location: In mountainous California or Arizona or Guatemala or somewhere.

We all die, as do many of our toys. 'When' is relative. But you're putting an immense strain on gear that wasn't engineered for this. You might want to look into acquiring a video cam with time-lapse capabilities. Or, you can just keep on pushing ahead until the shutter and/or lens go THUD! in a month or so, then try to get warranty service. Do you have any way to hack the 'actuations' count so they won't know what you've done?
Old Sep 25, 2010, 8:26 PM   #5

From the Canon Warranty:

Quote:
... that the Product will be free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal use and service for a period of one (1) year from the date of original purchase. ...

This limited warranty covers all defects encountered in normal use of the Product, and does not apply in the following cases:
(a) Loss of or damage to the Product due to abuse, mishandling, improper packaging by you, alteration, accident, electrical current fluctuations, failure to follow operating, maintenance or environmental instructions prescribed in Canon U.S.A.'s or Canon Canada's user's manual or services performed by someone other than Canon U.S.A. or Canon Canada, or a Canon authorized service provider for the Product. Without limiting the foregoing, water damage, sand/corrosion damage, battery leakage, dropping the Product, scratches, abrasions or damage to the body, lenses or LCD display or damage to the any of the accessories mentioned in the first paragraph above will be presumed to have resulted from misuse, abuse or failure to operate the Product as set forth in the operating instructions

I don't read anything in there that says that taking too many photos violates the warranty. That is, unless there's something in the user's manual or operating instructions.

BTW, at any time during your time lapses, does the Sun ever shine directly into the lens? That would be considered abuse.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 11:13 PM   #6

If you had to make a claim, you might get an argument that 10,000 photos per day isn't 'normal use'.
A car dealer might also take exception to your '24hour test drive' if you did it a Le Mans.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 8:28 AM   #7

Gosh, you guys didn't really try to make me feel better.

What do you mean my lens could get damaged as well? Why?

And again I ask - what do people use for time lapses?

I see people do time lapses for whole years, such as when a building is constructed.

So how can my camera not last a month?

Oh, and if I buy some shitty P&S, will it have a 'shutter life' too, or will it go on forever?

Ah shoot, what was I thinking.. I bought my Sigma 8-16mm lens specifically for time-lapses.

Look, time-lapses on my T2i is imperative. Do you seriously want to tell me that no one does time-lapses with their dSLR's?

Last edited by Track; Sep 26, 2010 at 8:30 AM.
Track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 9:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track View Post
I presume that's a reference to my inquiry about having the Sun shine directly into the lens. That won't damage the lens, but prolonged or repeated exposure to direct sunlight can damage the image sensor.

From page 106 of the T2i Instruction Manual:
Quote:
Do not point the camera toward the sun. The sun's heat can damage the camera's internal components.
From page 109:
Quote:
During Live View shooting, do not point the lens toward the sun. The sun's heat can damage the camera's internal components.
From page 124:
Quote:
During movie shooting, do not point the lens toward the sun. The sun's heat can damage the camera's internal components.
From page 234:
Quote:
Do not leave a lens or lens-attached camera under the sun without the lens cap attached. Otherwise, the lens may concentrate the sun's rays and cause a fire.
So, don't point the camera toward the Sun.

Quote:
No one said your camera won't last a month. In fact, I think many here tried to reassure you that isn't the case.

Quote:
Oh, and if I buy some shitty P&S, will it have a 'shutter life' too, or will it go on forever?
Actually, the "limitation" is on the mechanical focal plane shutters in dSLRs. P&S cameras don't have mechanical shutters.

Quote:
Ah shoot, what was I thinking.. I bought my Sigma 8-16mm lens specifically for time-lapses.
So long as the Sun isn't ever within the angle of view, which lens you use doesn't matter.

Quote:
Look, time-lapses on my T2i is imperative. Do you seriously want to tell me that no one does time-lapses with their dSLR's?
I don't think anyone said that either.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 9:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Gosh, you guys didn't really try to make me feel better.

And again I ask - what do people use for time lapses?

I see people do time lapses for whole years, such as when a building is constructed.

It is important for you to understand, your use is not the normal useage of a DSLR.

Now that you understand the limits, the question is what you want to do about that. There are cameras that have better shutters, but they will cost more. You will need to buy two because at that rate, they will fail too. You need to take the costs of the two bodies and the expense of shutter replacements as a cost of doing what you do. If that doesn't suit you, I'd recommend modifying your shooting.

Its pretty much the way it is.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 11:19 AM   #10

Quote:
So, I've shot over 200,000 shots with my Canon T2i.

Why? Because I do Time-Lapse with photos, and one day takes 10,000 or more.
10,000 per day is about 7 per minute! Are you using the 10 second self-timer and a remote release button locked?

Where do you store all the images? Do you have a REALLY big SDHC card? Do you stop the time lapse process to change cards?

I'm not as concerned about the life of the shutter as much as you and fldspringer seem to be, but I am curious about the process you're using.