Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 19, 2003, 5:05 PM   #1

Default In need of a new camera, but what one?

Hey,
I'm 15 and recently got into photography, I hate dealing with film, its expenisve and 'trial and error' learning takes to much cash out of my empty pocket. I need a good camera with some manual settings (preferably exposure, focus, etc) for around $500 with a hot shoe. Also, im a filmer (photography is just a hobbie, filming is my passion) so are there any adapters so I can use my 37mm lenses on my digi or will I need to buy new lenses?

Here are some photos i've taken with my current camera:
http://www.dlxnet.biz/~blankcanvasfi...olio/pictures/
I converted these to black and white because the colors were pretty bad, plus my flash is TERRIBLE.

So, to sum things up I need a cheap digi cam with manual settings, a hot shoe, and decent quality. I take pictures for a local bike shop, and the images go on their site, so the photos dont have to be 'film' quality, but still good.
Thanks,
-Curtis
blankcanvasfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2003, 10:11 PM   #2

Default How bout' this setup?

Hey,
After reading quite a few reviews I was wondering if this would be a good setup for shooting action shots:

Canon GX (not sure which one I want)
Canon's EX series flash (same as above)
Raynox DCR-FE180PRO

Would this be good? I'd try to buy it all at once, but knowing me i'll buy it all seperate weeks or months apart.

Whats a good flash that will light up a area enough to use the .24X fisheye?

Oh yeah, what are other decent set-ups that would leave me better equiped when shooting photos?

Thanks!
Old Dec 20, 2003, 7:27 AM   #3

Hm, there is much to be said for Canon G series but their shutterlag is not an action deamon.

The difficult part of your quest is the limited budget combined with a full blast camera. I like your photos and see that you should really watch carefully how your potential camera performs in low light (if reviews state it can't focus manual focus might be an option) & camera shutter response.

Most cameras will be pretty fast when it comes to all manual settings, but you might also run in situations were fiddling with camera menus is out and full automatic is the only way to snap a rapid changing scene.

Did you also consider a Fuji camera? Some of their models are pretty responsive on start-up and shutter and allow to capture at iso 800 or more.
If you can't find a dream camera to fit your budget, did you consider a small pocket camera with tons of camera option?
http://www.fujifilm.co.uk/presscentr...lash=6&id=1112
I have the Fuji F601 and like it very much for what it can do.

What you may not like is the smal lens. The bigger (mm diam.) the lens the better light is captured. That may also be something to consider if you insist on keeping same filter size as your film equipment. 37mm is a bit small.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2003, 10:22 AM   #4

What about a Fuji Finepix S7000?

It has the manual settings i'd enjoy, its 6mp so it would produce images far beyond what my 1 and 2mps are producing now, plus it comes with a larger lens, like you mentioned.

One question though. On camcorders, the size of the CCD's range from 1/6, to 1/4 to 1/3 (1/2 on pro cams), do digital cameras do the same? Because obvisouly a 1/3inch CCD is going to capture more detail and light then a 1/6 inch one.

I really like the looks of this Fuji, but how would it handle what I want it to? I have my shutter lag timing down to almost perfect, on both cameras, even though they lag diffrently. So, even if there is some shutter lag, I dont mind as long as I wont get nothing but motion blur when shooting. It does however say I can change the frame rate on it, so im assuming this is the camera im looking for. Would you suggest?

Below are some of my 'good timing' examples.

and here is one I altered in PSP7 to try to make it look like the skater was in focus, and everything else out of focus:
Old Dec 20, 2003, 11:28 AM   #5

I have a Fujifilm s602z. Works well for action once you get your timing down. Low light autofocus is a little slow. I think the newer s7000 is better in that respect.

Best advice to you is do a little homework now and narrow it down.Go to a camera shop if possible and handle those you think you want. Nikon 5700 was on my list until I handled it. Very small camera and was uncomfortable to me.
pbnoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2003, 11:31 AM   #6

Hey,
What part of Indiana are you from? I'm also from Indiana. I live in Madison Indiana, its a small river town right on the Ohio river.
Old Dec 20, 2003, 12:44 PM   #7

Nevermind about this post, it will be quite some time before I buy a new camera.

I "accidently" saw one of my christmas presents, and while it isnt the camera I would of bought it is certainly much better than what I have. Its *i think* its a Kodak DX6490, I cant quite remember what the picture on the box looked like but it was very similar to this, and it was a Kodak.
Old Dec 20, 2003, 12:50 PM   #8

I'm in north central Indiana. Not too far from Purdue University (Go Boilers!)

I wouldn't mind having that camera under my tree right now! Only read a little on it, but sounds good.
pbnoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2003, 12:54 PM   #9

Yeah, its a good camera by what i've read. But I cant find a adapter to use other lenses, plus im stuck with the onboard flash, which im sure sucks. Oh well, i'll tell you how it is in 5 days ok?
Old Dec 20, 2003, 5:37 PM   #10

A Kodak? Well they make also very good cameras. A friend of mine has a Kodak, I'm always impressed with the low light handling of his camera. If it is really a DX 6490, you can't go too bad ;-)
Quote http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...0/D64PICS.HTM:
The DX6490's excellent low light performance was one of the biggest surprises I found while testing the camera. It not only produced excellent color and moderate noise levels, but its viewfinder and autofocus systems worked down to the lowest light levels I test at. Overall, quite impressive, and a performance to shame many of its more expensive competitors.
/quote
And the DX 6490 has a flash sync port.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote