Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 19, 2003, 6:14 PM   #1

Default Lens Flare..

I don't know if you can remember the topic with "freaky spiral shaped bubbles" on the photos, but lateron i noticed that, in some of shots my photos have the same shaped and styled bubbles too! I was thinking as they may be a dust reflection before, but now as i've read from Steve's forums (btw, here is a real source in digital phohotography, anyway) a thing that i don't have any idea about it causes those strange "ghosty" bubbles: Lens Flare..

What's exactly a lens flare? Can't we prevent it by adjustments? (maybe adjusting White Balance :?: ) Or is it a malfunction which must be showed to the Canon dealer and wanted to be repaired..

Thanx in advance..
iason is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2003, 6:21 PM   #2

Lens flares are colorful artifacts inside the lens elements as a result of a reflection within the lens itself. It is not a defect in either the camera or the lens and cannot be adjusted by white balance or any other adjustment in the camera. It can be avoided by using lens hoods and can be corrected in the post processing phase.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2003, 7:01 PM   #3

For example.. Here what i mean..

In this first photo, the bubble is seen clearly, while there is nothing unusual about light, dust etc.

I shot this second pic, through dim street from my window, to show you lots of bubbles that i ve discovered when shooting into dark they are coming up more and more.. Are these also lens frames?

All photos taken with flash on -bubbles are not seen when flash off- and auto and night modes..
iason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2003, 7:26 PM   #4

I don't think that's lens flare. How clean are your lenses? How about the sensor? You might want to have a camera repair shot take a look at that lens if that is a frequent occurance.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2003, 7:47 PM   #5

This is not lens flare. Here is a good page that describes lens flare:
http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=article_012703

I don't know what it is. My first guess would be dust on the lens or sensor.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2003, 9:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by iason
I shot this second pic, through dim street from my window, to show you lots of bubbles that i ve discovered when shooting into dark they are coming up more and more.. Are these also lens frames?
Those are not examples of lens flare. They are more likely the images of dust, water drop, etc on your lens. Lens flare means a strong light source in the scene or very close to the scene that causes internal reflection in the lens. See the "Lens Overview" page of the "On-Camera Lens" section of my Coolpix 4500 user guide for the details.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 User Guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote