Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 2, 2010, 4:40 PM   #1

Default What's the highest Still FPS and Video FPS?

I realized that there are only two things I can't do with my camera.

The first is take 30 still shots a second, or even 10.

The second is take 120fps or more in video.

I could get the 7D and shoot 8fps still shots, but is there anything higher for cheaper? The new Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 can take 40fps @ Quad-Full-HD resolution.. making Full HD worthless, right? But why can't my T2i do that.. damn it.

I could also get the Casio EX-FH100 and shoot 1000fps a way too low resolution. This is more important to me - so is there anything that can shoot a minimum of 120fps at 720p or higher and doesn't cost thousands?

Thank you!

Last edited by Track; Oct 2, 2010 at 4:42 PM.
Track is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2010, 7:03 PM   #2

I think there was a Casio that could shoot at 20 fps at full 8MP resolution, but it's been discontinued.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 7:23 PM   #3
Administrator

The one he mentioned (Casio EX-FH100) can take 10MP images at up to 40fps. J&R has them at $269.99 delivered right now:

http://www.jr.com/casio/pe/CAS_EXFH100BK/

But, I don't think it can record video at more than 30fps if you want 720p (even though it can do up to 1000fps at lower resolutions), and it sounds like he wants at least 120fps at 720p.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 7:36 PM   #4

Actually, it can record 120fps @ 640x480, which is pretty good. That plus 10Mp images at 40 fps may be the best there is.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 7:54 PM   #5
Administrator

He wants 720p (1080x720) or higher resolution at 120fps or faster. I think he knows it can go faster at lower resolutions. ;-)

Quote:
I could also get the Casio EX-FH100 and shoot 1000fps a way too low resolution. This is more important to me - so is there anything that can shoot a minimum of 120fps at 720p or higher and doesn't cost thousands?
Old Oct 2, 2010, 8:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
The one he mentioned (Casio EX-FH100) can take 10MP images at up to 40fps. J&R has them at $269.99 delivered right now:

http://www.jr.com/casio/pe/CAS_EXFH100BK/

But, I don't think it can record video at more than 30fps if you want 720p (even though it can do up to 1000fps at lower resolutions), and it sounds like he wants at least 120fps at 720p.
I haven't found a single review or video that claims the 40fps thing. So, it's still something that needs to be proven.
I mean the 5D Mk II can only do 10fps.

Besides, it's a Casio.. even as a backup to my T2i I gotta say.. eww.

Now in regards to video at 120fps or more.. I know it exists.. I mean, obviously, whenever you see a slow-down in movies, that's what they're using - so I want the consumer model. I would love 1,200fps, but I'll deal with 120fps.

Also, I hope you mean 1280x720, not 1080x720.. it seems like a typo, but it's just that '2' and '0' are not near each other on the keyboard.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 9:12 PM   #7
Administrator

Yep... brain fart. ;-)

We reviewed that Casio here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...00-review.html

I haven't personally used it, but I think billy has. So, he may be able to give you some details. From what I can gather from it's conclusion, it's a bit noisy (image noise/grain, not sound) compared to the older Casio EX-FH20, and you're probably going to run into a "bottleneck" (buffer full) in under 1 second at max fps with full resolution stills (at which point, I suspect you may be waiting a while before you can take another burst, but I don't see the flush times in the conclusion for this one).

IOW, just because it's capable of burst rates that fast, doesn't mean that it's going to be very practical, depending on what you're shooting, as the camera's internal buffer size (faster internal memory) and buffer flush times before you can shoot another burst would also need to be factored in, whereas many dSLR models have relatively large internal buffers with faster write speeds to media.

What are you trying to shoot that requires burst rates that fast?
Old Oct 2, 2010, 9:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track View Post
I haven't found a single review or video that claims the 40fps thing.
From the EX-FH100 Product Webpage:

Quote:
The EX-FH100 can shoot at an amazing 40 frames per second in High Speed Burst mode. This allows you to capture up to 40 images with a single press of the button. After the images have been taken you simply save the best pictures to capture the perfect moment.
From the EX-FH100 Manual, page 51:

Quote:
With High Speed CS, you can configure the camera to shoot at a speed of 1, 3, 5, 7, 10, 15, 30, or 40 images per second, as long as you keep the shutter button and there is memory available to store the images. ...
It can shoot up to 30 9MP images in 3/4 second.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 9:47 PM   #9

Well, my T2i shoots 3-3.5fps indefinitely on the right card.

24fps @ 8MP would give me full 4k video resolution and be absolutely worth any price.

But if I can't do that, then obviously, it's not right.

Although, I am kind of worried about memory card bandwidth. The maximum P&S cameras can use is SD, and even it supports SDXC, the max is 60MB/s, which at 24fps means the maximum image size could only be 2.5MB, 2.0MB comfortably.

Oh, and the review is fantastic as always, but there is no 40fps 9MP video sample, and.. that's the only thing I want to see.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 9:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track View Post
I mean the 5D Mk II can only do 10fps.
The 5DII is rated at 3.9 FPS. If it did 10FPS at 21MP FF no one would be buying the 1DMKIV thas does 10FPS on An APS-H sized 16.1 MP sensor.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote