Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

View Poll Results: in order to find the average age, how old are you?
13-under 1 0.92%
14-16 5 4.59%
17-20 10 9.17%
21-30 20 18.35%
31-35 15 13.76%
36-40 7 6.42%
41-50 17 15.60%
51-60 23 21.10%
61-above 11 10.09%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 21, 2003, 7:26 PM   #11

So far, it looks like most of us are forty and older. Though I'm sure available funds is part of it, there must be something more, something that changes as we get older and that makes photography more attractive. Certainly, the thirty-something years are often consumed with jobs and raising children, which can put a damper on expensive, time-consuming hobbies. I played with photography off and on in my twenties, then wasn't able to get back to it until I got into my forties. Now I'm 58 and would happily immerse myself in photography all the time if allowed.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2003, 8:28 PM   #12

wow :shock:
1500 acres, thats huge!! does she have any animals?
she must love all of you very much, to DRIVE 450 miles

i hope i didn't insult you
if it helps, the comment was not directed to you
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2003, 9:53 PM   #13

Bcoultry; I think there are several factors why photography is popular amongst older people.
- Cost of equipment. Not all young people can put $1000 on a interesting hobby plus a computer to participate forums/fora. And not all parents are rich enough to encourage their kids at every breeze of interest they come up with.
- Photography is a medium that was very hot and hip untill 1970/80 when video came around. Most friends of my generation do have an interest in video.
- And lets be honest photography can be quite relaxed hobby. (We can make it as easy or difficult as we like). All it takes as a start is a camera and some interesting subjects you want to capture, maybe a trip, maybe family, maybe home town or around the house...No easel and oilpaint dripping, or hard to move piano.
- Love, lets be honest most young people have a busy schedule with friends and loved ones. Add to that that some are also working their butt of to start their life or in college.

And yes I feel a very rich mature woman; After almost 30 years I have the equipment I dreamed of as a kid and I do have spare time to enjoy your company here on line.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2003, 10:53 PM   #14

Barbara et. al.,
You're right about how we are all at different "stages" in our life. I never thougt about how time-consuming this new hobby is. I also never realized how time-consuming raising children can be (I also am insane and have an 18 mos. old AND 6 mos. old :shock: . I wish I would have taken this up before we had children. But, I have decided to enroll in my first photography course. This is the only way to actually "make time" to learn some of the basics. And Mathilde is also right, I can learn a little each day by taking pics of my beautiful boys. Anyway, my 2 cents...

Amy
amytude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2003, 10:55 PM   #15

I'm 18, just got my first real camera in may for a grad present, been hooked ever since. I think photography tends to lend itself to older people more is that 1) the money aspect and 2) older people are more patient to wait and explore all the angles to find 'the shot.' I know I have to constantly remind myself to explore all the angles before taking pictures.
SpeedyManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 1:15 AM   #16

Oh No, I just had a horrible thought...

:twisted: Digital Photography is the shuffleboard of the technological age. :twisted:

OK OK so i've sampled more than a few bottles of christmas party wine to get this revelation. :lol: :lol:
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 6:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterP
Digital Photography is the shuffleboard of the technological age. :twisted:
Please don't say such nasty things with youngsters around.

Speedymaniac, I know what you mean with impatience and exploring every angle and possibility of a scene. And I must warn you that such personal feature may stay longer with you than you like ;-)
(And is a plus to create spontanious lively portrets)
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 10:21 AM   #18

Bradg

No insult taken. Yes, she does love us very much as we adore her. I lost my own mother several years ago and treasure my wife's mother as my own. She grazes cattle on the winter wheat crop. She also surfs the internet and manages her stocks via the internet. I attribute her sharpness to an active mind.

Merry Christmas
Phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 3:56 PM   #19

Peter, that was definitely an epiphany. If you have even more Christmas wine, I think we'll have to shoot you.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 5:07 PM   #20

Hmmm, almost 32 years of age here. Or...am I 27? Think I'll opt for the younger age :twisted:

Kidding aside, I've been snapping pictures since the age of 5. My dad let me play with his Kodak duaflex camera, my first introduction to cameras.

I liked it then and like it even better now...though, still am not sure what I'm doing! haha The Kodak was much easier to operate/figure out than my Canon G3. lol

My dad (now almost 67) was the big photo bug and still likes to take pictures. I learned my love for cameras & photographs from him.

To me, it had seemed that many people had lost interest in taking photographs. However, now that there is digital cameras...this may bring photography back into focus with mainstream society? It appears so.
informativetoo is offline   Reply With Quote