Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 4, 2010, 8:29 AM   #11

I prefer using a hiking staff with a 1/4-20 stud in the top of the handle. That way, it is useful even when it isn't being used as a pod.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 4:42 PM   #12

Quote:
I prefer using a hiking staff with a 1/4-20 stud in the top of the handle. That way, it is useful even when it isn't being used as a pod.
There are monopods which can be used a self-defence item like a hard stick or police stick. they are collapsible and they opened automatically with one button push.
imut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 10:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by imut View Post
There are monopods which can be used a self-defence item like a hard stick or police stick. they are collapsible and they opened automatically with one button push.
Thats what 4 cell maglites are for!
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 3:37 PM   #14

wouldn't it be heavy with 4 cell? Also you can'T use it in photography. We are looking something also usefull for photography.
imut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 12:19 PM   #15

I have a Manfroto 680B, it is not a pocket item, but it is strong and was not terribly expensive ($80). I can use it as a walking stick as well so the size is not an issue for me. Steven
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 4:48 AM   #16

Has anybody ever used the VELBON ULTRASTICK L50 monopod? I am thinking of buying it, as an 'always carry around help', when the need arises... since Gitzo looks excellent but rather expensive for me ...a.

Last edited by kibaris; Oct 8, 2010 at 4:51 AM.
kibaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 7:54 AM   #17

I have a nice monopod (it's always in the car and I can't remember the make right now) that I've used once in a while. But just a week or so ago I did a series of test shots and I found that I swayed MORE when I used the monopod. For me, the better option was to open the aperture and get a faster shutter speed. Of course, the best would be sufficient shutter speed on a stable platform. Just saying that a monopod is not the instant cure-all to shaky that a tripod is. Some practice and experimentation is required.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 4:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
I have a nice monopod (it's always in the car and I can't remember the make right now) that I've used once in a while. But just a week or so ago I did a series of test shots and I found that I swayed MORE when I used the monopod. For me, the better option was to open the aperture and get a faster shutter speed. Of course, the best would be sufficient shutter speed on a stable platform. Just saying that a monopod is not the instant cure-all to shaky that a tripod is. Some practice and experimentation is required.
Truth. Check here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degrees_of_freedom_(mechanics)

The monopod restricts just 1 of the 3 translation degrees of freedom (there're also 3 rotation degrees of freedom). So, as you camera is usually at 1.60-1.80 meters from the earth, it's possible that you sway a lot and you get almost nothing in terms of stabilizing.

The best way to use a monopod is to rest it to something, a tree, a pole, something fixed. Even yourself if you have nothing to help around. That way you restrict much more degrees of freedom and the monopod becomes really useful.

Last edited by Ordo; Oct 8, 2010 at 4:38 PM. Reason: Correcting concepts.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 5:06 PM   #19

Camera shake is almost always vertical, and a monopod definately helps with that. Pitching and rolling is caused by the same mechanism that causes camera shake, but it's much slower.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 5:47 PM   #20

yeah monopods definately work its pretty easy to keep camera and even a big lens pretty stable when your not having to actually support its weight - you can use a very light touch so when a tripod is to clumby to carry around a monopod is a great choice for getting steady images
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote