Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 20, 2003, 5:16 PM   #1

Default DX 6440 Canon A80?

Hi all,

Been at odds for a digital (my first btw) camera and just when I had settled on the Kodak DX 6440 (went to purchase it today) the salesman was basicly telling me that in not so many words that Kodak is crap compared to either of the other (Nikon, Canon) ones in that price range.

Dunno, I was thinking that because it supports SD memory, 4X optical, has that 'unpronounsable' German lense thats supposed to be top-notch, excellent battery life on 2 AA's, docking station etc. that this was a pretty nice camera?

Can anyone shed some light on the issue and breakdown the pros & cons on the issue?
D.Levesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2003, 11:51 AM   #2

Telling you the DX6440 was "basically crap" says more about the salesperson's limitations than it does about the camera's. I purchased the camera and have been very pleased with the results. It's easy to use, has over-rides that will satisfy the more advanced amateur and it also provides a number of possibilities for growth in terms of add-on lenses and accesories. I purchased it with the printer dock and love the prints (albeit a bit pricey so I only print those that I want to send to friends). This dock also transfers my pictures to the computer where I can email them with ease. Kodak software (which comes with the camera) gives me great options for "fun" pictures (coloring book, fun effects, enhancement and a host of others to produce smaller images, thumbnails and even email size pics). The camera hooks up to the television (via the dock or the camera itself) so that I can watch a slide show on my large screen tv.

AND the lens is superb. The camera itself is reasonably robust, not that plasticky feeling you get from some digis... it is small and pocketable and light enough that you won't mind taking it with you wherever you go.

I had the Fuji 5000s but traded that in for the DX6440 and I could not be happier with my decision.
leushino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 12:02 PM   #3

I agree with previous post about the salesperson. I think that the Kodak camera produces very good photos and is reasonably priced.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2003, 1:59 PM   #4

Default I Finally Bought The DX6440 But...

DX 6440.

Al seems to be going well with the exception that once I download all the pics into my computer (for editing etc.) I can't get (export) them back into the camera via the dock nor straight camera/computer connection?

Dosen't make sense as one should be abe to edit the photo's and put them back on the memory card to take them in for printing. Is this a slight on my end, maybe I'm not doing something right or is this not possible?

I'm using OS X...

Thanks in advance
-D.Levesque
Old Jan 1, 2004, 5:48 PM   #5

sorry to burst your bubble but i went to the shop today to try out a 6490.
nice to hold nice screen but it hunts alot befor takeing the picture
but a 10x zoom wow donnt you need a tripod???????????
hotdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2004, 1:17 PM   #6

Default Huh?

Hotdog...are you replying in the right thread?
Old Jan 2, 2004, 1:20 PM   #7

Default Cannot Export...

DX6440 photos back to the camera from a computer...says so on the Kodak fax sheet.

This puts a diffeent spin on things. :-(