Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 4, 2010, 6:11 AM   #1

Default DSLR in amateur hands

Hello,

I need to give my DSLR to somebody to take shots , but he/she doesn't know anything about photography.

We are going to be in a hall under standart hall lights (nothing special about light) simply it is a wedding ceramony.

Which settings i should setup for her/him? Also he/she doesn't know chaning lenses so i need to attach one lens for that night. Which lens it should be? There are 18-55, 55-250 and 50mm f1.8.

My suggestion is
ISO : Auto
Aperture : wide open
Mode : A mode with 18-55

what do you think?
imut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2010, 6:57 AM   #2

My suggestion would be put it on the green full auto use the 50mm lens. IMHO it will be the easiest for them.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 7:00 AM   #3

My 2 cents.

I dont think I would go wide open on the aperture. That will make for a lot of OOF or focused on the wrong subject shots for somone who may or may not know the purpose of the on/off switch. I would put that out to at least f4. Which lens depends on where you are putting them and what they will be taking pictures of.
A mode will not have the aperture fixed so if that is your intent use aperture prioity and set it at f4. Also full auto will pop up the flash which may be undesired.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 7:15 AM   #4

The advice of Wave is good. Basically he/she would be using a point and shoot. But unless they are the village idiot, you could give them the 18-55. They can surely zoom the lens. Hopefully the lens will be on AF so all they have to do is compose the pic whether its to capture the room or on an individual. Spending at least 10 minutes with them should get them up to speed on that. Good luck.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 7:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by imut View Post
We are going to be in a hall under standart hall lights (nothing special about light) simply it is a wedding ceramony.
I don't think anyone could go from zero to wedding photographer
overnight.

Quote:
Which settings i should setup for her/him? Also he/she doesn't know chaning lenses so i need to attach one lens for that night. Which lens it should be? There are 18-55, 55-250 and 50mm f1.8.
You should probably use one of the automatic modes. Full auto
or [P] would be the safest options. If you don't use full auto, make
sure that they know how to use the flash.

The 18-55mm gives the greatest flexibility, but the 50mm f/1.8 will be much better for indoor shots.

Quote:
My suggestion is
ISO : Auto
Aperture : wide open
Mode : A mode with 18-55
Auto ISO sounds right. Widest aperture might be a bit
tricky, especially with the f/1.8 lens.

Quote:
what do you think?
I think you should do a few practice runs under similar lighting
conditions before the event.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 8:25 AM   #6

Give a quick lesson or two before the ceremony, so your friend knows what to expect from the autofocus, and how to use it. If your camera does pop up the flash automatically, you may need to set the mode to prevent that, if flash shots are not allowed.
Good luck.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 8:37 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by imut View Post
Standard Hall Lights, huh? Indoor lighting may be much dimmer than you think to the camera's lens. ;-)

Have you tried taking any photos in this location yet (during the time of day the ceremony will be held) to see what to expect using various settings? Can you use a flash (and do you have access to a good external flash)?

Depending on lighting (which may even be "dimmed" during the ceremony), you may need very high ISO speeds with a bright lens to reduce blur from subject movement, which means a greater skill level will be needed to increase the number of keepers (carefully timing shots so that you're taking them during pauses so you have the least amount of subject movement, paying careful attention to focus point to get around DOF issues, etc.)

Shooting raw would help with exposure/WB issues that you may encounter.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 4:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Have you tried taking any photos in this location yet (during the time of day the ceremony will be held) to see what to expect using various settings?
Nope not a chance!

Quote:
Can you use a flash (and do you have access to a good external flash)?
I can't tell to him/her how to use external flash, i thought higger ISO with t2i like 800 or 1600 would handle it.

Quote:
reduce blur from subject movement,
I never thougt that, how we could handle this high speed movements. dancing ladies etc..

Quote:
Shooting raw would help with exposure/WB issues that you may encounter.
That is correct, i recently bought class10 8GB SDHC, raws would be good with it.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 4:37 PM   #9

Quote:
If your camera does pop up the flash automatically, you may need to set the mode to prevent that, if flash shots are not allowed.
Flash is allowed in that place. But i prefer higher ISOs with DSLR. There is not so much noise at 1600 with t2i.

Quote:
I don't think anyone could go from zero to wedding photographer
overnight.
That is a fact at least i want good pictures not excellent but good.

Quote:
you could give them the 18-55. They can surely zoom the lens. Hopefully the lens will be on AF so all they have to do is compose the pic whether its to capture the room or on an individual. Spending at least 10 minutes with them should get them up to speed on that. Good luck.
Quote:
50mm f/1.8 will be much better for indoor shots.
18-55 would be good because wideangle shots needed like family picture all together so i can't change lense even f1.8 is better for indoor shots.

Quote:
That will make for a lot of OOF or focused on the wrong subject shots for somone who may or may not know the purpose of the on/off switch. I would put that out to at least f4.
it will higher the noise and lower the shutter speed for dancing gals and guys without flash.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 4:44 PM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
I can't tell to him/her how to use external flash, i thought higger ISO with t2i like 800 or 1600 would handle it.
I wouldn't assume anything, as you might need ISO 3200+ using a bright prime to freeze even slower movement, depending on the lighting, especially if you don't have a lot of ambient light coming in through Windows (which is why I'd see what you're getting at the same time of day the ceremony will be held at).

If they allow a flash, I'd be prepared to use one. If not, make sure to take lots of photos, as you may find that most of them are blurry with any subject movement at all. Indoor lighting is usually not as good as it appears to the human eye. If you've got any photographer friends, I'd invite them to help out (or hire a reputable pro if the photos are important to you, as there are many things that can go wrong).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote