Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 5, 2010, 10:03 PM   #11

My travel kit consist of a 18-250 for general purposes and a 50 1.7 for low light and indoor stuff. I'd have to say that when I get home from my travels and download everything I'm always happy with the results I get with just those two lenses.

My superzoom is always the first lens I grab when hitting the road.

My most used lens is my 28-75 f/2.8 lens. It has the most useful range and f/2.8 makes it useful just about anywhere.

Last edited by lomitamike; Oct 5, 2010 at 10:14 PM.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 10:56 PM   #12

The kit lens with most/all dSLRs is offered at a good enough price that you should get it if you have to ask the question, i.e., unless you know that you will be getting a better lens Real Soon which covers pretty much the same focal length range.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2010, 1:41 AM   #13

I know the canon 18-55 kit isnt a bad lens for the price coupled with a 50mm 1.8 this lens is a no brainer at its price point. then you have to make choices for any other lens, mine I went for the efs 55-250 seems to cover all the shoots I do.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2010, 6:01 AM   #14

I use a superzoom camera on vacation. I'm not about to lug a DSLR around my neck all day. I bought a Canon S5 IS (used, $125 USD including batteries).

Even the Canon S5 IS got a little tedious around my neck all day, plus walking into restaurants looking like a dork photographer carrying it.

Having said all that, the Canon S5 IS worked pretty well. At first I never thought I'd use the telephoto end of it, but I did.

The image quality does not compete with even the cheapest DSLR's, however the photos were "non-critical" (ie. just for personal enjoyment or posting on this forum).

If I was doing "serious" photography a DSLR and the best lenses I can afford is the answer.

I will probably replace the S5 IS with a compact travel zoom, ie. something I can slip into my pocket, yet still has the range of 28-300 or better.

Obviously, the lens quality is a superzoom is "good", but doesn't approach a decent zoom lens for a DSLR.

I hope that helps. In the end, most photographers serious photographers end up more than one camera: a DSLR (for "critical" or paying work), a pocket zoom or superzoom, and a super compact to be carried with them at all times (you'll never know when that Pulitzer opportunity will present itself!).
TerryR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 5:27 PM   #15

Location: In mountainous California or Arizona or Guatemala or somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomitamike View Post
My travel kit consist of a 18-250 for general purposes and a 50 1.7 for low light and indoor stuff. I'd have to say that when I get home from my travels and download everything I'm always happy with the results I get with just those two lenses.

My superzoom is always the first lens I grab when hitting the road.
I'm just about with you there. My original dSLR lens kit were a 10-17 FE, 18-250 SZ, and 50/1.4, all AF. On a recent long drive (a couple months across the USA southwest) my most-used were the 18-250, a Zenitar 16/2.8 mild FE for indoors (it's mostly replaced the 10-17 FE), the 50/1.4, a 28/2.8 for landscapes, an 85/2 for longer dimmer shots, and a Raynox DCR-250 for getting close. I took 25 lenses but those were what I used. With a couple new (used) acquisitions, my current line-up now replaces the 28/2.8 with a 24/2.8 (and someday I'll maybe get my 24/2 fixed) and a very small, stealthy 35-70/3.5-4.5 AF.

So my minimal kit is the superzoom and 3 or 4 primes and a closeup adapter and maybe the minizoom. All easily carried in my Ameribag, along with pills, snacks, kite, tools, etc.

When is a superzoom insufficient? In low light (unless you've boosted ISO). For shallow DOF (unless you add a cheap +diopter lens). When you want to go beyond its focal range. When you want better IQ at the extremes of its range. When you want to be unobtrusive. When you want to be forced to see what you're shooting. Stuff like that.

Last edited by RioRico; Oct 14, 2010 at 5:31 PM.
RioRico is offline   Reply With Quote