Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 5, 2010, 1:15 AM   #1

Default How to clean viewfinder

Hi All,

I got a problem. I took some pictures and found that there are dust spots in the pictures. After I clean it, I found that there are dust in the viewfinder. How do I clean that? The picture look fine now, but it bugs me when I look at the viewfinder(not the LCD). There are dust inside and I can't figure out how to clean it.

Thanks
raylee011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2010, 2:43 AM   #2

what camera please
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 2:54 AM   #3

Sorry about that. I have the Pentax K-X.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 3:13 AM   #4

Hi thanks for that sounds like you have dust on the sensor or mirror I would get a puffer first and try to blow the dirt out, before thinking of sensor cleaning.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 3:39 AM   #5

It sounds like dust on the mirror (like wave01 mentioned) or the focusing screen. Cleaning the focusing screen is simple enough, but the mirror is easily damaged. Use a blower (like wave01 suggested), but if that doesn't work and you need to use something that contacts the mirror, be very careful.

Unlike your bathroom mirror, the mirror in a dSLR is a front surface mirror. That is, instead of being silvered on the back, it's silvered on the front. If you apply too much pressure or use harsh cleaners, you can damage the silvering.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 8:50 AM   #6

If a blower does not remove the dust you are seeing, it is very likely inside the focus screen. These are easily removeable with a tool which is like tweezers. Be very careful, if you do, as the focus screen is made of a soft plastic which is very easily scratched, and can be damaged by cleaners. (voice of experience).
If the dust doesn't show on the pictures, unless it is interfering with your abiliity to see what you are shooting, don't bother with it.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 9:48 PM   #7

I was told by someone that there are a type of canned air that I can use. Is that right? I am sure it is on the focus len because I tried using the blower through the small gap and it get 1 or 2 dots out. I already cleaned the mirror and the used the blower on the senor and pictures come out fine.

It is bugging the heck out of me because it is right in the center. I guess I can use it as a "FOCUS POINT". lol

But I really want to get it out.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 10:56 PM   #8

I have seen many warnings against using canned air.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2010, 1:50 AM   #9

I wouldnt use canned air a hand puffer is all thats required. If you look on youtube there are demos of people cleaning sensors may help failing that it back to a service centre
Old Oct 8, 2010, 2:31 AM   #10

Hi All,

I finally figure out how to open the focus screen. I understand why everyone telling not to do anything about it, but it just bug the hack out of me. Here are 2 sites that I ran to to get instructions about how to install a new Focus Screen.

http://www.focusingscreen.com/work/kmen.htm
http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/

I just want to help others who maybe looking for instruction. It took me a while to find them (well, if I knew the keyword to search for, it would be a lot faster).

Well, I know for sure that I have dust spot on my sensor because I do see dots on my pictures now, but I also see dots on my viewfinder.

I talked to someone at the camera store and she told me that the dots is from the penta-prism. By the way, if dust is on penta-prism, it shouldn't affect my pictures right? That is just so that I can see the image through the viewfinder, right?

After I removed the focus screen, I tried to use my cheap blower. It helped, but not much. At least I don't have a dot right in the center of the viewfinder. I am going to buy a Rocket Blower this weekend and try it again. Hopefully, it will take some out as well.

I am hoping that the Rocket Blower will help removing the dust on the sensor. Otherwise, I will have to do a wet clean which is what I am trying to avoid. I am still trying to find the right kind to buy for my Pentax K-X, any suggestion?

I know I am writing a lot. So, let me summarize my questions.

1. penta-prism - dust on penta-prism should not affect my pictures right? It is there so that I can see image through Viewfinder, right?
2. Recommendation for wet cleaning for my Pentax K-X sensor. What kind should I buy?

Thanks