Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 23, 2003, 12:58 AM   #11

Default Re: TVWriter not working on XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg
have you used TVWriter on XP Home Edition operating system?
No, I'm on Win98SE. I have access to an XP machine, so I'll try it, but I expect I'll have the same problem. Bother!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2003, 8:38 AM   #12

Default Re: TVWriter not working on XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg
Alan T, have you used TVWriter on XP Home Edition operating system? TVWriter works fine on Win 98, but I haven't been able to get it to work on Win XP.
I have now installed and tested both the registered and unregistered versions of TVWriter v2.1.4.39 (April2003) on my son's new 'XP Home' and it's fine.

Did you get it to install and run at all under XP? You should be able to inspect the results on your computer before sending them back to the camera. I take it it isn't just that TVWriter's default output path pointed somewhere obscure where you couldn't find the images?
Old Dec 23, 2003, 8:45 AM   #13

Default pc hook up?

this may sound like a pretty stupid question.....but can't you hook that printer up to your pc? it defeats the point of the printer dock but you should be able to print from the computer......[Edit] i don't really know how you'd do the slideshows........didn't read that when i posted that ^ hmm........... :?
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2003, 8:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by csd
So does this "TVWriter" also learn what the camera uses for Exif header information and restore that so the camera thinks it is the one that took the shot?
No, I'm afraid not. Of course, if it's a twiddled image, your image editor will have to preserve the EXIF info as well, and I don't have one of those (I use PSP7.04). I think 'Exifer' and 'Irfanview' perhaps, and 'Photo Studio' (see below) are supposed to allow you to put exif info back into an image, but I've never got it to work (or even understood the instructions).

TVWriter puts a bit of stuff in the EXIF header, but because I used Nikon settings in TVWriter on my Casio camera just now, the header as read in 'exifer' thinks it was taken by a Nikon.

When I first got interested in this, I only found one other cheap or free program that would allow you to rotate an image and put it back on the camera, and that's 'Photo Studio' from www.stuffware.co.uk. This was to allow me to put portrait format images from my Olympus C3020Z (no TV output) on to my Casio QV-5700 (with TV output) and show them the right way up. [The Casio turns its images the right way up all by itself, presumably by having a pinball machine hidden inside somewhere.]
Old Dec 23, 2003, 8:54 PM   #15

Default TVWriter - issues addressed

Hi once again folks

TVwriter is the shareware tool which allows you to upload ANY jpeg image from computer onto digital camera without that control-freak-multinational-corporate "unrecognized file format" error on your viewfinder.

I have tried the very celebrated "TVWriter" (inappropriate name for software which really does much more), version 2.2.0.45b. the demo version has a watermark which can be removed with registration. also the registered version allows higher quality pics than the unregistered version.

TVwriter works well with my Kodak DX4530, no problems. I have windows xp professional, no problems.

I took a shot of my baby, 2530 x 1932 pixels (5mega)

Then i added a title on an image editing software

Then i resent it back to the camera. You can choose to send back in original resolution or downsized, best quality, or compressed. This is good to save space on your memory card i suppose.

The original file size was 637kb. The resent file size with updated EXIF info was 859kb, which i found to be a surprisingly large difference. Obviously TVwriter has to manipulate the image quite extensively in order for the digital camera to read it.

Then i successfully printed the image on the printer dock.

This is definitely the solution - TVwriter. Funnily enough there is actually a link to the TVwriter web page on steve's digicams software page. Thanks once again Alan T.

To all those "simply impossible" fatalists - go figure!

Have a nice day
Malcez
Australia

google keywords for others desperately searching for this solution:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
jpeg jpeg jpeg exif exif exif "upload image from computer to digital camera" "unrecognized file format" jpg jpg jpg "upload jpg to digital camera" tvwriter tvwriter tvwriter tvwriter tvwriter tvwriter
malcez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2003, 10:05 PM   #16
lg

Default Problems running TVWriter under XP

Alan T, thanks for the version info. I have v2.1.4.38. Let me upgrade and give it another try. Thanks!
lg is offline   Reply With Quote