Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 21, 2003, 10:04 PM   #1

Default How to edit a photo and resend to camera?

I bought this Kodak DX4530 with Printer Dock 4000.

I am able to upload photos from camera to computer no problem.

I like to edit the photos, add text, effects, etc.

When I drag-and-drop to the "Internal Memory" folder of my kodak camera using the same file name protocol 000_0001.jpg etc etc I can successfully save the edited photo on the memory card.

I can then successfully view that edited photo on the computer which is now stored on the camera.

I CANNOT see the edited photo on the viewfinder of the camera. It says "Unrecognized File Format". Kodak support webpages say that whilst you can resend unaltered pictures back to the camera (and I can do this) you are unable to resend EDITED photos back to the camera because the JPEG / EXIF 2.2 "header information" has now changed.

Fine. Whatever. I can NOT believe that someone has not invented a little program to "fix" this header information such that the Kodak Camera can recognize the edited photo as its own. It may be as simple as a short hexadecimal string.

If and when this is possible, I will then be able to print the edited photos on the printer dock. I refuse to believe that this is an impossible dream and await any help from other users with eager anticipation. I spent about 3 hours googling on this already today.

Cheers
Malcez
Australia
malcez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2003, 4:55 AM   #2

This question has come up before. The camera must recognise its EXIF header intact and also I've found the file size must be the same as the 'native' camera file. Once you edit, the file size changes. Also PhotoShop adds a lot of its own junk. You can successfully copy pics back to the card if they have not been edited or the file size changed, sometimes they have to be renamed back to the original camera convention and installed in the same directory.

Your camera is not a pc and has a strict card media file format convention. They don't licence an MSDOS or XP operating system from Bill, so is it fair to expect a format changed by your pc after editing, to be compatible in the camera?

Writing anything back to the card from a pc, particularly out of file shot sequence, can give problems, eventually you may be asking for help with 'Card Media Error Message' You need to be careful, 'cos pursuing your aspirations might trash your card! VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 7:04 AM   #3

Default Can the header be decrypted/manipulated to trick the camera?

Thankyou voxmagna for reply.

I guess it would follow that if the JPEG image must match the EXIF file header, if the JPEG image has changed with edits, can the EXIF header be accordingly manipulated to "trick" the camera into thinking that the edited image is a native shot from the camera?

Has anyone studied the EXIF header algorithms to the extent that they can build an EXIF header based on a JPEG file on computer?

I understand that the camera is not a pc, i am merely trying to get the camera to recognise an edited image for printing purposes.

This issue needs to be pushed to the limit. Frankly I am surprised that I cannot find a Exif-hack program on the net. Any leads?
Old Dec 22, 2003, 9:08 AM   #4

You must realize that the Kodak cameras with the docking stations and similar setups were designed for the snapshot crowd that take a picture of their kids or their vacation spot and just want a print of it. Most don't put it in photoshop and tweak it into a photograph. To add the features that you're speaking of would increase the cost of the camera, thereby defeating the whole concept of the camera.

Most people that are willing to go through the process of manipulating their picture in Photoshop tend to be printing their prints on a photo printer and not the docking station type printers.

In the camera world, the more creative you want to be, the more it is going to cost you
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 9:58 AM   #5

The problem that you have is not only with Kodak cameras. Edited photos that are transferred back to cards are not viewable with the camera.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 10:28 AM   #6

Default Re: How to edit a photo and resend to camera?

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcez
I can NOT believe that someone has not invented a little program to "fix" this header information such that the Kodak Camera can recognize the edited photo as its own. It may be as simple as a short hexadecimal string
The returned pictures have to have the right header, follow a suitable naming convention, and be present within the camera's usual folder structure.

You need "TVWriter" from www.satsignal.net (based in Edinburgh, Scotland). It's shareware, but there's a free demo version with an advert on every frame, so you can try it out before buying for 20ukpounds or so. It works for many brands of camera. I find I have to create a dummy folder structure on the camera's card by taking a single picture before transferring the slide show images.

Incidentally, it allows to inflict your life's works, political platforms, etc., on any audience that owns a TV, without hiring a lecture theatre and projector, because it will give you an image on your camera from *any* jpeg that you present to the program.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 10:44 AM   #7
csd

So does this "TVWriter" also learn what the camera uses for Exif header information and restore that so the camera thinks it is the one that took the shot?
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 12:12 PM   #8

If you're going to all the trouble of downloading the image to your PC, and editing it in Photoshop, why not get a printer for your computer so you canprint the image directly from Photoshop?

If that docking station / printer only works with the camera, and can't connect to a PC, it seems like a better solution would have been to purchase a printer that accepts memory cards. That way, you could print with or without the computer.

Given that you already have the equipment you've bought, maybe you're just going to have to purchase an editor that will allow you to edit the EXIF data manually, and try to make the new image "look" like one right out of the camera.
mikemyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 12:28 PM   #9
lg

Default TVWriter not working on XP

Alan T, have you used TVWriter on XP Home Edition operating system? TVWriter works fine on Win 98, but I haven't been able to get it to work on Win XP. I took it up with the author, but so far we have been unable to resolve the issue. If you or anyone else out there is using Windows XP Home Edition and TVWriter works on your system, please let me know. Thanks!
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 8:36 PM   #10

Default TVwriter and digital cameras

Thanks Alan for that tip on TVWriter.

I will try it out when i get home from work ... oops ... yes here i am.

That program sounds fantastic - now i can do my powerpoint slides as screendump .jpg's and make a slideshow on the camera. (it would seem). hopefully the program works for kodak protocols as well.

yes i always found those expensive screen projectors difficult to obtain/borrow at the last minute for presentations.

folks the reason i want to be able to print from the docking station and not a photo printer, one word, portability. i want to be able to take the camera/dock wherever i go and print whenever i want, not having to attach to computer.

but the computer is useful to touch up those few images that you aren't quite happy with.

thanks everyone for input
malcez