Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 14, 2010, 1:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PvrFan View Post
Thanks for the tips, everyone. I wouldn't go if I had to pay the $20 admittance fee but with the free pass, it looks interesting. I may even sit through one or more of the seminars.
don't expect much from the seminars. most of them end up being slide-shows. not much teaching. and you'll come out with their final thoughts: sign up for a Henry's course.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 7:12 PM   #12

Ah if you had planned to go to the seminars and had a free ticket it might be worth the time to get there. But as far as buying something, no deals. The whole show was run by Henry's and they sold everything. So it was one price -- Henry's price so no deals at all. In fact prices higher there than in other camera stores for similar products. Lots of little gadgets and thinga ma jigs to buy at reasonable prices. But the cameras and other top line equipment was certainly no deal.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 8:26 AM   #13

Default Trip report:

I went to the show on Friday and attended two seminars. One on shooting movies with a DSLR and the other on using flash effectively. Both were OK. Good speakers; not enough time to go into much depth.

It was cool to wander around the booths of the major manufacturers. Playing with the multi-thousand dollar lenses on the platforms was fun. (Though, normally, I don't need to be able to count nose hairs on a guy on the other side of the exhibition hall!) There weren't a whole lot of smaller booths, I thought. One that was fun was the historical group. Couple of neat old bellows cameras. I will admit to having noticed the body-painted models in a couple of the booths. No, it wasn't me standing there slack-jawed, drooling on the floor. Definitely not me!

I needed a better carrying bag and I found one on special, so that was good. I don't see myself going on a regular basis.

Craig
PvrFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 8:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PvrFan View Post
... I don't see myself going on a regular basis...
well, it only happens twice a year. i'll keep going as long as i can get a coupon for free entrance. there's always something i need. i got a beautiful manfrotto tripod after talking at length with their rep. that's what you don't get at the neighbourhood camera shop. factory reps. at least, not often.

i don't really care about the models either. but they need to be there. it is a photo show after all. i liked that sony had all their models out on top of the display case for us to touch. i didn't like that nikon had their's under glass and you needed to ask a rep if you could touch it. i'm waiting for an email back from the canadian distributer of tokina as to when they'll have the 1116 in sony alpha mount available in canada. i have a bad feeling that supply is so short, i'll not be able to get one.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 10:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post

i don't really care about the models either. but they need to be there. it is a photo show after all. i liked that sony had all their models out on top of the display case for us to touch.

I just have to figure out how to go next time and leave the wife behind.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 12:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Ah... But the cameras and other top line equipment was certainly no deal.
Journeyed up to the show in search of two items: a polarizing filter and a nikon to m4/3s mount adaptor. Found a source for both from one distributor. The CPL was listed at $245 (admittedly at B+W Kaesemann) and the Novoflex adaptor for $299.99. And neither were available at the show, only as special order. When i shot 35mm, i don't think I ever paid more than 30 bucks for a polarizer so $245 came as a shocker. These show prices were astronomical.

Then wandered over to visit Olympus to ask about the electronic viewfinder for the Pens. They did not have the price listed but finally one of the staff came up with a price of $270. Olympus Canada sells it online for $250.

So I went home empty handed, glad parking and admission was free. Wish I had seen the "trunk" sale...
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 11:48 PM   #17

Here are a couple of shots of those painted ladies. For those of you interested in this sort of thing. I took these pictures for you. They arent for me. I like girls but not these girls. Really. No, honest, trust me.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote