Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 13, 2010, 11:57 PM   #1
BDD

Default A year of introductions?

2011, looks to be a year of great introductions.

Every 3 years (so far) Canon has updated the 5D. 2005 for the 5D then 2008 for the Mark II.

Nikon is due to put out the replacement for the D700 (many said this fall but doesn't look that way now). Along with the D4. Both of which I hope to see even higher useable high ISO numbers + 1080p video REC.

The 5D Mark II needs to bump up the max useable ISO ceiling.

I wonder what the next max USEABLE ISO will be. 25,600?
BDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2010, 2:22 AM   #2

I think of all the cameras I read up on, and all the hype of the 'high ISO', yet most cameras have a hard time getting low ISO done WELL. I try out cameras at stores and most of the cameras I have, my husband and photo friend have all have a hard time with higher ISO 400 and up. These are Canon, Sony, and Kodak.
I Would love to see Very Clear 400 and 800 ISO...as well as much better on what I call 'mid level' high ISO 800-1200.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 7:17 AM   #3
BDD

I've never used a Canon so I can't vouch for their high ISO performance. But I have heard that anything 7D and above is pretty good. If I were to jump ship and go Canon I would be looking at the 5D Mark II. Supposed to have very good high ISO ability. And can do 1080p REC.

I have a Nikon D300. Great up to ISO 3200 where noise starts to become visible in the shadows. But still fairly useable at ISO 3200. Maybe ISO 6400 for 4x6 prints.

But I have seen what cameras like the Nikon D3s can do between ISO 3200 & 12,800. Fairly impressive IMHO.

As I've said countless times...I hope the replacement for the Nikon D700 is based on the D3s' high ISO chip and adds 1080p REC ability. Otherwise I might go with Canon's 5D Mark II or it's replacement next year.

Honestly, while having the ability to shoot beyond ISO 3200 and still get clean images would be great (e.g. ISO 6400, 12,800) most of the time I try to stay at the lower ISO range when possible. It's just nice to have that option if needed.

Last edited by BDD; Oct 14, 2010 at 7:20 AM.
BDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 8:18 AM   #4

The 5DMKII, D700, and D3 all shoot excellent at the lower iso. With point and shoots, none have really produce a great photo pass 400iso with the 1/2.23. The 1/1.63 do a bit better at 400-800iso, and can work at 1600iso. But that is one of the limiting factors of small point and shoot sensors. To get very good 400-1600iso performance you will need to mover up to a dslr size sensors or 4/3, aps-c or FF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalonewolf View Post
I think of all the cameras I read up on, and all the hype of the 'high ISO', yet most cameras have a hard time getting low ISO done WELL. I try out cameras at stores and most of the cameras I have, my husband and photo friend have all have a hard time with higher ISO 400 and up. These are Canon, Sony, and Kodak.
I Would love to see Very Clear 400 and 800 ISO...as well as much better on what I call 'mid level' high ISO 800-1200.