Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 16, 2010, 9:39 PM   #1

Default Female Portait Help Needed

I also posted this in the Fuji forum as I am using the Fuji HS10 camera. But wanted to post it also here if thats ok for others who may not see it to chime in.

In the near future I need to take some photos of our female (and male the males are not the issue) in their firefighters in their dress uniforms. Females wear a white dress shirt, navy knee length skirt, either beige or suntan hose (per policy manual wording) and navy closed toe heels.

I did a few test shots last week with our chief to figure out what background worked best.

The issue is that the hose are looking darker in the photos than they are to my eye. If I raise the ev a little it starts to blow out their face. Also if I use the built in flash on the Fuji HS10 it makes the hose also a white mess and if I use a bounce flash in hotshoe the hose brighten slight but it also overdoes the top of the frame.

Shots are inside the firehouse bays with ample ceiling light against a white ambulance as the background with a flag type sticker over their shoulder.

Any ideas. I almost want to ask for the gals to come with barelegs as I did three different people as test and one didn't wear her hose for the test shots (she hates hose and made it known) and the legs looked ok.....

Oh I shot in the auto, P mode and A mode at f/5,6.... would portrait mode make any difference didn't think of that till it was too late. For the guys A mode at f/5,6 keeps everything sharp and P mode at +1/3ev works well too.

Thanks in advance

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2010, 4:06 AM   #2
Super Moderator

The best thing is for this to be left here and for people only to comment in the other thread, that will keep all the thoughts in one place and people are not taking time suggesting the same thing as has been suggested. Also it will help people build on the ideas of others.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 9:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
Females wear a white dress shirt, navy knee length skirt, either beige or suntan hose (per policy manual wording) and navy closed toe heels.
dave
Ask them to wear "Swedish suntan" hose, i.e., almost white.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 10:58 AM   #4

A graduated ND filter should even out the lighting. If that doesn't work, or you don't have one, try a 'shop light' aimed low to fill in the shadows. (as long as the color temp is close to the overhead lighting).

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 11:19 AM   #5

Mark your idea worked wonderful. Did a test shot today and with the side light it worked well enough that I will do that when I do the photos next week.

Also didn't even need to use fill flash it came out so well.

Thanks

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 12:19 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
Mark your idea worked wonderful. Did a test shot today and with the side light it worked well enough that I will do that when I do the photos next week.

Also didn't even need to use fill flash it came out so well.

Thanks

dave
Good good, nothing like using a doorway or window for some nice lighting as it is diffused and even whilst still directional. Look forward to seeing the results.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote