Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 22, 2003, 10:14 AM   #1

Default Software for a Curtis DCD-3300 Digital Still Camera

I have a Curtis Still Camera Model DCD-3300 which had software and ran fine on Windows ME. I had problems with Windows ME so I had Windows XP Home Edition installed and now am having problems downloading pictures from my camera (the software is not compatible with Windows XP). It connected after awhile last week but yesterday all I got was the message "no connection". I need help-is there a new/different software that will allow me to download pictures from my camera??? Help!!!! I need to download some pictures!!!!
bakerdmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2003, 12:41 PM   #2
Administrator

Dottie:

I tried searching for your camera, but was unable to come up with anything. The only listing I found for it, was an old Ebay listing from March, where someone had one listed for $23.99

I have never heard of this camera.

You may want to try upgrading your XP to the latest service pack, to see if that helps. Microsoft did have some USB problems with XP that the Service Pack solved. Here is the link:

http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/p...p1/default.asp

If that doesn't work, you may want to see if there is some kind of manufacturer's web site for your camera in any literature that came with it (I couldn't find any information about it).

If all else fails, you may want to consider buying a digital camera from a better known manufacturer (Olympus, Kodak, Canon, Fuji, Nikon, Minolta, etc.).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 1:07 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. The camera does not use a USB port, it uses a serial port-would this change anything????
Old Dec 22, 2003, 2:07 PM   #4
Administrator

Yes -- the service pack didn't impact serial ports.

It's probably just a setup problem with your serial ports. Did the camera include a separate software package for downloading your photos via the serial port?

It may be able to run under Windows XP (or maybe not). In any event, Windows remaps serial ports. So, it may have a different address and interrupt assigned after the upgrade that is different than your software is looking for.

Older software usually looks for Com1 at an address of 03F8, using Interrupt 4. Windows also specifies a baud rate and flow control (Xon/Xoff or Hardware) for serial ports.

Chances are, it remapped the port so that the software can't find it anymore.

You really need to know what you're doing to mess with the settings (the addresses are assigned under the Device Driver section for your system's Ports).
Old Dec 22, 2003, 2:19 PM   #5

Thanks Jim, what you said is correct (COM1 port) but now what do I do? Any suggestions? Can I remap it so it works again???
Old Dec 22, 2003, 2:51 PM   #6
Administrator

I wouldn't advise it, unless you know what you are doing. Otherwise, you may end up with a conflict, messing up something else.

You would need to go to Control Panel, making sure you are in "Classic View", then going to "System", "Hardware", "Device Manager", and finding Ports. There will be Com1 there. This is where you can change the address, interrupt, baud rate, flow control, etc.

But, if you set something wrong (changing it from auto assigned address to the "standard" address used by older software), you could easily break something else (another device could be using the same address). We don't even know if that's the real problem or not anyway.

You're better off trying to contact the manufacturer of your camera, and asking them about a solution (or just buying a different model, that is designed to be compatible with Windows XP).
Old Dec 22, 2003, 2:54 PM   #7

Thanks Jim. I have been trying to contact Curtis but the lines are constantly busy. I'll keep trying.