Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 20, 2010, 12:16 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Top 2 things to influence your photography (thnx to lesmore for his thread in pentax)

Lesmore's thread in the Pentax forum was too great to keep only in that forum. see the original here:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...otography.html

Thanks LES!

basically, what are the 2 things that have most influenced/made the biggest difference your photography?
Old Oct 20, 2010, 12:17 AM   #2
Super Moderator

here is my answer copied from the original forum to get things started.

>>

many of those mentioned here have influenced me as well, digital is an easy choice, my time available to photography fluxes with time allowed. but for me my big 2 are.

1. Inspiration/Critiques on forums, mainly this one. back in 2005-2007ish era the photo critiques forum here was ruthless. and that kind of brutal honesty really improved my photography. not only critiques of my own work, but in critiquing others. in a more glass-is-full way, inspiration from others work has really helped my own, many of them on this board.

2. Growing up on a farm. As you have noticed nature is always a focal point of my photography. and that goes back to my days growing up on my dad's farm in central illinois. appreciating nature and being part of nature was something that was always at the forefront of life, whether it was in the fields or in a duck blind, respect and admiration of nature and everything in it was just a way of life. i have since been in the city for school and now my career since then, but photography has given me an outlet to head back into nature when i can and appreciate those things that make up it.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 6:25 PM   #3

Location: In mountainous California or Arizona or Guatemala or somewhere.

I don't remember if or what I answered on the parent thread, but here goes:

1) Being raised to photography. Dad was a semi-pro and I just about grew up in his little darkroom. He didn't let me play with his TLRs, but I gave some Brownies their workouts. My sisters and I were trained to the camera. Dad would have his Rolliecord or Autocord loaded with Verichrome Pan and he'd say something, and we'd freeze for a moment, and he'd SNAP, and we'd all resume. But more importantly, Dad was a whiz at composition, and I grew up knowing what good composition was. I guess my sisters were similarly affected as they've both become graphic artists, one commercially.

2) Getting my first 'real' camera when I was 24 (just mature enough to appreciate it). It was an ancient 1934 German-made Kodak Retina I with 50/3.5 lens and 1-300 shutter, the very first 135 camera, 40 years old when I found it. No rangefinder, no metering, nothing automatic. So I got a hand-meter, and I shot and shot, and I learned to judge distance and light and shadow and angle, and after a few months *I* was the camera's automation. Such a camera is ideal for teaching one to see and think -- and not being rich encouraged me to not waste film.

3) I must throw in a third major factor: PaintShopPro. I started with it in the early 1990's, fixing grabbed frames from analog sources, moving on to newer versions as I went digital. PSP and digicams didn't make me a compositionally better photographer, but freed me to explore more (HEY, IT COSTS NOTHING!!) and to extract all I could from any images, weak or strong, that I'd shot.

Oh, I could mention other influences: numerous museums, galleries, workshops; the Time-Life Library of Photography; the Petersen photographic library; the art/photo prof who convinced me not to despise low-resolutions P&S's because ART IS NOT DEPENDENT UPON PIXELS; Lomography; drafting and drawing classes; piles of stereovision photos in Grandma's next-door farmhouse; various other stuff. But the Big Three (above) are my major shaping factors.

Last edited by RioRico; Oct 26, 2010 at 6:27 PM.
RioRico is offline   Reply With Quote