Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 20, 2010, 7:53 PM   #1

Default Large format printing -posters

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I did do a search and couldn't find exactly what I need answered.
I want to blow up an image of mine. It was taken by my Sony A300; but when I go to the print sites such as Winkflash/ Snapfish/ Pictopia it doesn't seem I can go any larger than a 16x24. Is this as large as I can go? I would really like to get it to 24x36. The file is 3872 x 2592.
I saw the thing about Qimage; but was hoping I could find a place that could do that for me without having to first buy that and try to figure that out; not to mention to figure out which level I would need to buy.
How do people create images that can be blown up that large?
Thanks for your help,
Maggie
Mahgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2010, 8:13 PM   #2

Maggie-

Poster size prints are best done commercially. You will have to use an upgraded photo service (upscale from Winkflash/Snapfish and the like, if you want to go larger than 16 X 24. These are specialized printers who do nothing but big prints. Just look in the back of any issue of Popular Photography and you will find at least a half dozen of these specialized printers.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 8:31 PM   #3

I know some people that have been very pleased with the results they've gotten from http://www.mpix.com/
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 8:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I know some people that have been very pleased with the results they've gotten from http://www.mpix.com/
Mpix is outstanding. I've printed as large as 24x36 (on canvas for a client) with a 10mp D80. I've also done several 72" wall clings with images shot with my D300. Shipping is also very reasonable (about $10 for next day fedex).
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 6:20 PM   #5

Thanks all sooo much. I just ordered a print from Mpix and should get it tomorrow (wow); I will let you know what I think about it when I get it. I am so excited, my first big print ever.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 1:15 PM   #6

Really nice company. My first print had a mark on it and they sent me out another one right away, I didn't even have to return the damaged one. I will be doing future business with them, that's for sure.