Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 22, 2003, 6:19 PM   #1

Default Dimage Z1 or Kodak DX6490 or ???

I am looking at either the Z1 or the DX6490 for my next digital camera. I have also looked at the Olympus C750, but I think I have narrowed it down to the Minolta or Kodak. I have read every review I can find, and I still can't choose.

Is there a real-world use difference between 3.2 and 4 MP? My current camera is a 2.1, and I have printed 8x10's with it that I am happy with, and I don't see that I will have a need to print images larger than 8x10 -- mostly 4x6 or 5x7.

I like the Minolta from name recognition, but the "clunk" this camera is known for, and the goofy lcd/eyepiece system scare me away from it a little. The tests I have seen show it to be faster than the Kodak in pic to pic time as well as shutter lag - although both should be much better than my current camera.

I also really like what I have read about the Dimage 7hi and the Nikon Coolpix 5700, but there is a big price jump to them.

Any advice on these or other similar cameras?

Thanks in advance...
Jeff
rctoyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2003, 8:04 PM   #2

I have had the DX6490 for a couple of months now. Personally, I'd say its the best image quality in the 10x Zoom class. Maybe not as many options as the Oly C-750 but, I'd trade image quality and low-light capability over those features.

Here are some examples;

http://www.juetts.com/DX6490/

-
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 8:13 PM   #3

I would purchase the 6490 over the Z1. Very good picture quality and it works very well in indoor lighting conditions.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2003, 11:35 AM   #4

Boy! Those are some awesome pix. Were they all taken with the DX6490?

I've seen the Z1 for around $300 and the Kodak is still a little over $400.

I've been reading some good stuff about the Olympus C750 as well - instead of narrowing down, I have 3 to choose from.... I don't care about "movie mode" - I'll leave that for a video camera.

I want a 4MP 10X optical with image stabilization and lightning fast AF and <1 sec pic to pic turn-around and excellent image quality for $400 - Wouldn't that be awesome?

*edit* - I almost forgot the Fuji S5000 - a guy at the local camera shop was really pushing it, but I don't know anything about Fuji or their reputation - I think it was really a 3MP that creates 6MP images? How would that work?

Anyone else?
rctoyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2003, 12:24 PM   #5

Jeff

The C750 is another very good ultra zoom without stablization. The Fuji S5000 is another very good ultra zoom without stablization. All of the cameras you are viewing do not have image stablization. The only current cameras that have stalization (non DSLR) are the Minolta A1 and the Panasonic FZ10. All of the cameras you have mentioned will take very good pictures and have great zoom capability. You can overcome camera shake by using a monopod or tripod. I suggest that you go to a local store and shoot with all these cameras and you will find one that feels better for you.

Phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2003, 9:59 PM   #6

rctoyguy, yes, all those photos were taken with my DX6490. I had a tough time deciding between the C-750 and DX6490 when i was narrowing the field down. I chose the latter and have not been disappointed.

The 1700mAh Li-Ion Battery life is terrific. I usually get 300+ @ 4.0MP photos on my 256MB SD card and the low-batt light still does not come on. As a 'test' to run the battery down (on purpose) I had to take 190ish photos and fill the 256MB card up 7 times with movie clips.
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote