Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 22, 2003, 8:38 PM   #1

Default best for movies?

hi
I'm looking for a camera (4mp or better) that can also take
great movies. - most offer only 320*240 and don't let you zoom.

best I've seen is the Sony DSC-V1 which can take 640x480 with
MPG-VX format.

still I was wondering if there are other choices with a 640*480 option. what I don't like about the sony is
1) expensive proprietary battery
2) expensive proprietary memory

any input would be gr8ly appreciated.
sgenzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2003, 9:03 PM   #2

Don't.

Buy a dedicated video camera instead. I don't know why manufacturers bother to incorporate these features in digicams, The picture quality is lousy, and if youíre lucky there's some noise recorded of what the manufacturer claims to be the sound, but some finer inspection reveals that its an audio clip that the manufacturer recorded of monkeys at their local zoo, looped to infinity (ok, Iím a bit exaggerating here, but you'll get the picture )
Marc H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2003, 10:05 AM   #3

Default best for movies?

well
I have a 'fuji 4700' and it is useful for movies - with really lousy reuslts - and I would get much better results with a dedicated movie camera. - HOWEVER -
when I take the family (4 kids) to a sunday outing or to an amusement park I'm already shlepping a camera, my cel phone and an frs radio. - every pocket in my body is already bulging and all I need is yet another camera to hang around my neck as a hazard.
I have seen in dcreview actual movies taken with a sony dsc-v1 (640*480) and even though the quality is still not there - better then having 'yet another camera' to shlep around in.

So - does anyone know of any 5mp cameras that can also take 640*480 videos?
Old Dec 23, 2003, 1:12 PM   #4
csd

Default Also be sure to consider fps

I agree about movie mode being useful. THere are times my kids are doing something cute and I just want to catch it for a couple of seconds. I don't always have a video-cam with me - but more often have my digital.
Mine is less than 640x480 but is 24 fps. So the movies are small but fluid.
In addition to the pixel resolution, also be sure to compare the frame rates (measured in frames per second or fps). The more the better - if there aren't enough fps the movie will look jerky and less fluid. Of course, the more there are the more space that will get used though.
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2003, 10:44 PM   #5
hst

Default Fuji 7000

Take a look at the Fuji 7000 640x480 and I thing 30FPS which is considered real time. The review on this site shows a pretty impressive video clip for a digicam. Better than the others I have seen.

Have a great week!
hst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2003, 3:26 PM   #6

Default best for movies?

the 5/6 mp fuji'w were basically written up as being rather poor for a 5mp+ camera stating the quality is no better then a 3mp camera and that the camera actually takes better 3mp pics then 5.

I'm thinking of possibly waiting for the upcoming sony dsc-t1 which, when available can supposedly also take 640*480 @ 30 fps.

what I don't like about Sony.
1) pay twice as much (street) for memory.
2) proprietary LiIon battery.

sam
Old Dec 24, 2003, 4:26 PM   #7
hst

Default Read the review strickly on the S7000

Its true the prior generations that said 6MP were actually interpol. and 3MP. Not to great. The S7000 is quite different. It says 12MP but is actually 6MP interpol.

Steves Digicam Quote:
And if you're looking for a digicam that can also capture high quality video, you'll love the S7000's VGA resolution, 30fps movies -- they're gorgeous.

I don't own one personnally I am just going by what the reviews I have seen said. You might want to go to the Fuji forum and check with owners to see what they think. Don't go by owners of the lower resolution ones because they are quite different in settings.
hst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2003, 4:39 PM   #8

I concur with hst, the S7000 produces excellent videos but it also produces high quality pictures.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote