Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 23, 2003, 8:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoso
For people that live around theyBrooklyn/Queens area of New York, these store fronts are nothing new. They're more the norm than the abnormality.
Originally from Queens, I can tell you that even my doctor's office had a buzzer, that you had to buzz and they would come on the intercom and ask who you were and if you had an appointment.

You might find the following PC World article of interest:

http://tinyurl.com/7hh6
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2003, 8:59 PM   #12

I just read that entire article, and though I've never been burned, I've come awfully close and wish I'd gotten the information in the article a long time ago. One thing I never quite understood was "gray market" goods, but the author explained it well.

It's interesting to note that B&H prices in their catalog and in their magazine ads can often be a bit higher than what you end up paying. I assume they have to cover their butts in hard copy just in case prices rise.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2003, 11:13 PM   #13

Hey they can have the ugliest store they want.
As long as they offer good prices and good service.
solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2003, 12:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonpd3620
I buy equipment off the internet all the time. I rely on resellersrating, bizrate and buyers comments at shopping.com. I play the piano and sing really bad, but my 2 year old granddaughter claps when I sing for her. Still they are very interesting photos.
Not that I want to deprecate your experience, but it is very easy to "create" a "good" reseller's profile at Bizrate etc. There is no control over who gives you a recommendation (for example, the recommender may never have purchased from you at all) and unscrupulous resellers have family, friends and employees who can (and will) submit spurious recommendations. On E-Bay you cannot give a recommendation unless you have actually been involved in a transaction on E-Bay with the seller. That makes it more difficult to create a spurious reputation on E-Bay. It is not impossible, however. The way that is done is to sell a lot of small items to friends -- lens cleaning kits, cheap filters etc. -- and then have the "purchaser" recommend you. While this costs a lot more to effect than is necessary to create a good profile on Bizrate, it can be (and is) done regularly. For that reason, I pay no attention to recommendations on E-Bay unless they are for items in the same price range as my contemplated transaction.

Just a head's up...

<TED>
tedj101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2003, 2:14 PM   #15

Thanks to postings else where in now check everybody out through...

http://www.resellerratings.com/ :shock:

Kayd
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2003, 5:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImKayd1
Thanks to postings else where in now check everybody out through...

http://www.resellerratings.com/ :shock:

Kayd
Read the above post by Ted. It is very easy to fake those reports at Reseller Ratings. Sometimes the store has their own employees or family members make those ratings.
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote