Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 25, 2003, 2:33 PM   #21

don't you just love how it changes my words around?
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2003, 4:34 PM   #22

IBM's? Whats IBM got to do with the PC now-a-days? :twisted:
It is Intel(or AMD) hardware running the Microsoft Windows operating system you are talking about, refered to as wintel.
I have AMD hardware running Linux Operating system and the hardware seem stable enough.

My laptop running windows is another story.

As for viruses, the mac and Linux OS's are not target as much because the script-kiddies churning out that stuff get a much bigger target audience with windows users. They probably don't know very much about the other OS either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by informativetoo
Brad,

From what I gather, many graphics/3-D users use Apple. I do believe Macs are more stable than IBMS.
Neither are they heavily targeted by virus/trojan writers either.

I would ask your Mac friends why they chose the Mac, they could best tell you.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2003, 7:53 PM   #23

Quote:
As for viruses, the mac and Linux OS's are not target as much because the script-kiddies churning out that stuff get a much bigger target audience with windows users. They probably don't know very much about the other OS either.
Linux and macs tend to act as carriers for virus for pcs. And yer also right in the fact that its the user base with pcs. more bang for the buck you could say

I've got friends that love macs and can't stand pcs, and vice versa.
They both have there pluses and minuses, but they both do the same job anymore.
macleod76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2003, 9:14 PM   #24

Well just to renforce, Mac's are used in the artistic community, such as editing videos, photos, etc. beacuse the software usually comes out first on macs and is sometimes only found for macs. PC's are slowly catching up to this, I think. Also Macs tend to be more reliable than PCs, but with XP its pretty close. As for the ipod it is the best mp3 player around, it is reliable, well built, doubles as a portable HD, uses firewire which is just as fast as USB 2.0. Works for both PC and Macs and you can upload your MS Outlook calendar & contacts. I hope this helps. I almost forgot, apple just introduced their G5 which is a 64 bit processor, which cna handle software in both 32 & 64 bits. Cool stuff!
FuzzyChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2003, 9:30 PM   #25

Ah so they are catching up to the newest AMD Athlon™ 64 FX-51 Processor recently added to the current lineup of Athlon 64bit processors.

They also run new 64 and existing 32 bit applications. Be a while before Microsoft® Windows 64-Bit Edition for AMD64 currently in beta is generally available, so windows users will have to wait a while or switch to Linux :twisted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyChicken
I almost forgot, apple just introduced their G5 which is a 64 bit processor, which cna handle software in both 32 & 64 bits. Cool stuff!
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2004, 9:06 PM   #26

just found this, it is worth a look, be shure to click the comparison http://www.sportsshooter.com/message....html?tid=6673
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2004, 10:30 PM   #27

I'm pretty satisfied with Windows 2000. My computer is very stable. One of the big problems with Windows is that it's not as user-friendly as it appears to be. It takes some knowledge to keep a Windows system running stably.

That said, I used a Mac a few days ago, and it was pretty cool. I'd think about getting one for my next computer, especially if I was looking for a laptop.
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2004, 11:26 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradg
just found this, it is worth a look, be shure to click the comparison http://www.sportsshooter.com/message....html?tid=6673
Kinda surprising, only a few tests did the Apple computers do better. So far I have counted 10 or so tests that had a humanly noticable difference.

And windows XP is amazing stable. I have had a very few amounts of crashes that resulted in any lost data (and even then it was very minimal). I have used a PC computer heavly for a week without ever restarting it. Although I have never used a Mac, so I can't really compare. But I don't see how I could need it much better...
blinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2004, 11:34 AM   #29

Hasn't had a problem in a week.Thats really funny.I haven't had to restart my system in two years except for software installs that were required and maintenance I do on a monthly basis.
Oh by the way, 64 bit was mostly used for high end work stations and servers but since the G5 its available to every one.It may take a while for most Applications to become 64 bit.But for now 32 bit works fine.Its only going to get better.
As far as price is concerned. Well you can judge for yourself what you can afford and what your time is worth.

http://www.apple.com/hardware/video/virginiatech/

Everyone uses what they like or are accustom to, or what they are willing to put up with.

If you enjoy what you use.Then stay with it.

Good luck to all.
EasyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2004, 12:04 PM   #30
NHL

Also

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/040109/the_i...gernaut_3.html
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote