Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 15, 2010, 2:51 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpete View Post
... However, those who fully use all the hardware to the max and get little programs for everything, and want to be compatible with the world, like me, and who see Macs as crippled (from experience) like me, then they should not go for mac unless they have a lot of money to spare on hardware and software alternatives. ...
This is unadulterated cr&p. So you're a power user and no Mac user could ever be?

There is lots of software for the Mac, big and small, and some that Windows users can only dream of. GarageBand, for example. And if the OS X gui isn't enough, there is unix underneath opening up all the amazing open source programs. I'm running a personal video recording system (MythTV) that is far better than, say, Windows Media Center. And free.

Really, you should get some current experience before trotting out any more of the tired old anti-Mac myths.

Craig
PvrFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 4:00 PM   #102

I am not saying that you cannot be a power user. What I am saying is that it cost twice as much. Therein lies the main problem for me with Mac. Let's say I want to get a $500 PC laptop. Wait, this Mac with the same specs and is only $1k; I've heard a lot of good things from all the fanboys out there. But wait, look what I can get PC wise for $1k; I can live with the OS since I can run nearly any game out there (many are windows only). A person who values performance and does not have money lying around (like me) would choose a PC. Or maybe I'll get the $500 laptop and then get a 70-200mm 2.8 lens for a bit more than one mac laptop. I sure as heck would pick PC then.
That is not a "tired old mac myth".

There's this great little site I like to call Google that will reveal many alternatives to Mac only software. A friend was whining about how PC has no Garageband alternative. I just typed in "garagebad windows alternative" (it was hard, but I persevered) and Voila! the top three results recommended MixCraft. I in turn recommended it to my friend, and it was an instant win. He liked it better than Garageband. I am sure there is stuff the other way around, but I KNOW there is more support for windows since it has only 90% of the market share.

Do the third part programs that are apparently totally unique to osx make a Mac worth it for you? Then get it! Duh! I am not stopping you. If I've said it enough, I'll say it again: different OSes work for different people. I personally think Linux is a bit screwy, but I have a computer whiz friend who loves entering everything in command lines, so of course it works for him better than windows.
So get a Mac. Awesome for you. I'll stick with the extra cash.

Oh, and please, as a rule for this thread, don't bring up that mac can run Windows if you want it to. That pretty much defeats the whole purpose of everything.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 4:43 PM   #103

Macs became popular for their stability in the graphics industry. All Adobe producs were only available for the Mac for many years. At the same time for just plain number crunching a PC was the machine for the engineering industry. I dont think there is an all in one computer for everything. But when you decide what it is you want to do then there is a computer that best suits that need.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 5:03 PM   #104

And I'm sure there are engineers with Mac and graphic designers with PC. So no worries. I thin I'm pretty much done with this thread.

Old Nov 16, 2010, 9:40 AM   #105

Quote:
I am not saying that you cannot be a power user. What I am saying is that it cost twice as much. Therein lies the main problem for me with Mac. ...
That is not a "tired old mac myth".
Maybe you could use your amazing mastery of Google and look up "total cost of ownership".

http://techpatio.com/2010/apple/mac/...ip-mac-less-pc

Quote:
The Enterprise Desktop Alliance recently surveyed 260 IT administrators in the United States to learn which computer environment they believe is the cheapest to manage, when it comes to Macintosh vs PC.

Their results showed that Macís cost less to manage than PCís, according to 65% of the IT admins,
So, yet another Mac myth exploded when you look a little beyond the surface.

Craig
Old Nov 16, 2010, 11:39 AM   #106

Holy mother of IC chips!
I thought I had seen it all on the bickering back and forth over Mac and PC. This took it to another level.
Bottom line is what ever suits your needs. I have had both, PC for years then to a Mac and back to PC beacuse I didnt like the Mac's inablity to span hardware and software connectivity gaps. Seems like most of the arguement here has nothing to do with the hardware but with the OS used. Any computer is vulnerable, its all up to who does the exploiting as to what they decide to attack. Pure numbers usually dictates this as PC has 95% of the market share with Windows XP being the most installed OS at 65%. So if your intent is detrimental are you going with taking the time to affect 5% of ther market or 95% of the market? Thats a no brainer. Its not that either is more vulnerable than the other.

" Their results showed that Mac’s cost less to manage than PC’s, according to 65% of the IT admins"

This is the most biased BS statement I have ever read. I work on a daily basis in the largest data centers in the world, none of them run Mac systems. There are a few where an admin likes the interface of Mac better and uses a Mac for a terminal but on the data center floor there is not a Mac to be found which is saying something for a 300,000 sqft datacenter.

Im not going to bash one over the other as I have seen repeatedly here. This is no different than choosing Canon, Nikon, Sony or any other camera. The all produce images and its all up to what the end user wants. If it works for you then go with it but keep in mind that just because it works for you doesnt mean that everyone else is wrong.

My proposition for those who seem to have all the answers is to design the hardware and OS to become a millionaire by outdoing the others while you still know everything.
My initial decision when getting into computers was purely a stroll down the software aisle. First computer superstore I went to had 20 aisles of PC software and 1 aisle of Mac. Things have changed a bit since then but not entirely. There are still software titles that run on every manufacturer of the PC compliant code base but not on a Mac and titles that run on a Mac and nothing else.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 11:51 AM   #107

I agree. This has become too much bickering for For my taste.
Re: PvrFan: If mac works for you, then get it. What applies to IT pros doesn't apply to me. Entry-mid Macs are twice the price of entry mid PCs. You'd have to get your Mac to run over twice as long to make it worth it. The only costs I have had for PCs is with upgrading, which is cheaper than Mac, and time cleaning out my fan twice.
I am unsubscribing to this thread. If Mac works for you and you have the cash, kudos for you. It doesn't and I don't for me. To each his own.
Sorry if I got a bit heated. One of the reasons I like this forum are because of the few trolls. So please forgive me.
Cheers!

Last edited by mrpete; Nov 16, 2010 at 3:46 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 3:39 PM   #108

Quote:
What applies to IT pros doesn't apply to me.
Thats whats funny, as I stated above I work on a daily basis in the largest data centers in the world. Im not talking about mom and pop outifts that have a handful of users and the 1 IT guy that dictates what systems are used. Im talking about the main data center of every financial institution in this country just for starters. Bank of America, Wachovia, Deutche Bank, Credit Suisse, Merril Lynch, Goldman Sachs, S&P, Morgan Stanley, Citigroup just to name a few. Then off to the communications giants of AT&T and Verizon. Pharmaceuticals like Merck, Bristol Myers Squibb etc. None of them use Macs and yes I have been in every single one of them, multiple times.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:44 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
..." Their results showed that Macís cost less to manage than PCís, according to 65% of the IT admins"

This is the most biased BS statement I have ever read. I work on a daily basis in the largest data centers in the world ...
Who said anything about data centers? The study relates to desktop users.

Craig
Old Nov 17, 2010, 6:33 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by PvrFan View Post
Who said anything about data centers? The study relates to desktop users.

Craig
It didnt specify, only one comment at the end from one individual. It said computer environment and they surveyed a closed group.
Either way its still a failed and biased article. The same places I noted earlier dont use Macs desktops either, Im not saying I dont see any but they are all at the small mom and pop places and usually reserved to a few in those cases, none of the coporate giants use them, mostly due to cost. None of those places buy the equipment but rather lease it, Mac leases are cost prohibitive.

My point was in the BROAD spectrum of things Mac has very little of the market share in both desktop and enterprise data center solutions. Also as stated Im not saying they make a bad product, to each his own and what suits their needs.