Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 4, 2010, 9:28 AM   #11
Super Moderator

There are many good editing and workflow programs.

Aperture (Mac Only), Lightroom (Mac and Windows), Bibble Pro (Mac, Windows, Linux), Capture One (Mac and Windows), DXO Optics Pro (Mac and Windows). Really they are all good enough to satisfy almost all of a photographers' needs.

Note that most of them are for Mac and Windows with the notable exception of Aperture; so if you're not pretty confident you'll never want to use Windows again then it may be worth going for one of the multi-platform apps.

Lightroom is the most obvious choice because of its excellent technology, reasonable price, Photoshop integration, etc. It may have a very slight technological edge over the competition just at the moment, but it's not very much and won't last for long.

Capture One is more expensive.
Bibble is multi-platform, and Linux is awesome these days.

But are you really sure you will need one of these? The new version of iPhoto will come free with your Mac and it's pretty good for casual use. And of course you can upgrade to Aperture later if you want to.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 9:32 AM   #12
Super Moderator

There's not a lot to choose between OSX, Windows 7 and new Linux distros. All are mature, approximately as secure as each other, stable, fast, pretty darned reliable. All have excellent usability. Choose whichever takes your fancy, but don't get too worked up over believing one is superior to the other, it's just not so anymore. [Though of course that won't stop the fanboys tearing into each other ad-nauseum.]

Which is somewhat ironic as we are all about to stop using workstations and use thin devices to connect to cloud-based processing. Oh well...
Old Nov 4, 2010, 10:03 AM   #13

Thanks for all the input I know that there are viruses out there and that there are checkers for mac's. I am going to get trial versions of lightroom and aperture and go from there. The reason for the acceleration in my schedual is that vat goes up in January
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2010, 10:20 AM   #14

You are probably right TCav. But the bottom line is Ive never had any computer problems from any bad software that was picked up from somewhere. The only software Ive had to combat problems was Norton and that was worse than useless. It made more problems than it ever helped. In fact it helped zip. So keeping that stuff off the computer kept my computers running quickly and free of popups etc warning me of imaginary or real problems. Since Intel now runs the Mac Im leary about my luck holding out. But I am on the internet 24/7 and chugging along with no problems at all. And Im sure that cant be said for any PC.
Bynx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2010, 10:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Not only is the statement about the Mac not having any viruses a myth, it's also misleading. There are plenty of viruses for the Macintosh. I remind you that Mac OSX is simply a front end for BSD Unix. If you don't think there are viruses for Unix and Linux, you are sadly mistaken.

So don't buy a Mac because you think you won't get a virus. And if you think that your Mac has never gotten a virus or other form of Malware, you are either very lucky or very mistaken.
TCav is completely wrong...there are no viruses on the Mac Platform. If you think I am wrong TCav please demonstrate to me a Mac OS X virus.

Go get a Mac and you'll never regret it.
soho100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2010, 12:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by soho100 View Post
TCav is completely wrong...there are no viruses on the Mac Platform. If you think I am wrong TCav please demonstrate to me a Mac OS X virus.
Any malware for Unix will run on a Mac. And Unix computers are some of the most important computers on the internet. If you don't think there's malware for Unix, you're fooling yourself.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2010, 1:22 PM   #17

Malware is not a virus...a computer virus is a computer program that can copy itself and infect a computer. Malware requires user interaction (stupidity).

I have worked in Mac IT for 15 years managing 100-200 Macs within five design companies and I have never ever seen or heard of a virus on Mac OSX...there simply aren't any viruses on a Mac.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 2:51 PM   #18

I've been working on Macs and PCs since 1986. The last job I did for my last employer was to set up a mixed Mac/PC network for a systems command in the US Navy. Since then I've been a computer consultant for cross platform networks and applications in small businesses, government agencies and not-for-profit organizations. There are, and have always been viruses and spyware (collectively referred to with the generic term "Malware") for Macintoshes.

And even if you beleive that there is no malware that runs on the Macintosh, would you please consider the possibility that, even if you're right, a Macintosh that you manage may act as a carrier, passing malware from one computer to another. So, just because you have never ever seen or heard of a virus on Mac OSX, that doesn't mean computers you manage don't contain malware that have remained dormant until files from those computers are passed on to other computers that may not have been so lucky.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2010, 6:27 PM   #19

And I suppose those "other computers that may not have been so lucky" are called PCs. I cant imagine there is anyone on this or any other forum that is on a computer more than me. At any time day or nite Im here working away. Always downloading stuff while I work. After doing this for the last 20 years its really nice not to worry about something going wrong because of malware. Also not having to waste money on Malware software is a blessing. I had until recently a PC laptop. It had malware softeware installed. There were windows forever popping up asking questions all the time. Very annoying when trying to work. I know there is always going to be a division between PC and Mac lovers. But I honestly cant see it. There is only one platform if you want to get the job done without any hassle and thats with a Mac. Id like to hear from anyone with a PC who can make the same claims with their PC that I make with my Mac. You want cheap and unreliable go PC. Software abounds. And there is a fixit shop on every corner, because those fixit shops are needed. If you are prepared to spend a few extra bucks go Mac for reliable consistent use.
Bynx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2010, 6:44 PM   #20

Of course Macs can act as a carrier by forwarding on an email containing a virus to an unfortunate Windoze user but it will not affect the Mac in any way whatsoever.

I was merely correcting your statement saying there 'are viruses on the Mac platform' which is incorrect. If you think I am wrong please list them.