Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 4, 2010, 9:43 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by soho100 View Post
Of course Macs can act as a carrier by forwarding on an email containing a virus to an unfortunate Windoze user but it will not affect the Mac in any way whatsoever.
Of course it will affect the owners of those Macs when the get a notice from the person the Mac owner sent those files to. Then those Mac owners may come looking for you. You see, people and organizations have been found liable for damages from malware they have transmitted, intentionally or not.

Quote:
I was merely correcting your statement saying there 'are viruses on the Mac platform' which is incorrect. If you think I am wrong please list them.
I invite you to browse A - Z list of all Threats and Risks - Symantec Corp. You can start at either M for Mac or O for OSX. There are others, but that should keep you busy for a while.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2010, 11:12 PM   #22

Apple has publicly verified that Macs do in fact get viruses.

http://www.switched.com/2009/09/01/a...s-get-viruses/

As their market share increases so will the number of threats. I would think that all parties concerned are working on a full protection package. You may not feel the need to run anti virus packages now but the day is coming.

Steve

I just looked at your links. There are a couple of keyloggers in that list and that is never a good thing.

Last edited by Old Boat Guy; Nov 4, 2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2010, 2:18 AM   #23

I have aperture 3, and tried the new lightroom, both are very good. But lightroom is a little less of a editor. As Photoshop is the big program for editing form adobe to is you do not want to put out the 700 bucks for cse. With for photoshop element 9 to come out to go along with lightroom. But both aperture and lightroom are good photo managers.

I uses both mac and pc on a daily bases. I just prefer the osx interface over windows. I went kicking and screaming when my wife started us on the switch. She to a macbook, and 6 months later I pick up a macbook as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave01 View Post
Thanks for all the input I know that there are viruses out there and that there are checkers for mac's. I am going to get trial versions of lightroom and aperture and go from there. The reason for the acceleration in my schedual is that vat goes up in January

Last edited by shoturtle; Nov 5, 2010 at 2:21 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2010, 3:43 AM   #24

Thanks for that shoturtle
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2010, 5:01 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I invite you to browse A - Z list of all Threats and Risks - Symantec Corp. You can start at either M for Mac or O for OSX. There are others, but that should keep you busy for a while.
Yeah that really kept me busy trawling through the 100,000 Windoze viruses to fine 3 Mac malware that were either 8 years old or don't even exist anymore. Hmm didn't Symantec announce a while back they were abandoning their Mac virus software cos no one was buying it...says it all.
soho100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2010, 7:14 AM   #26

Quote:
I was merely correcting your statement saying there 'are viruses on the Mac platform' which is incorrect. If you think I am wrong please list them.
So, were you wrong or not?

And, btw, those are only the malware that run on the Macintosh exclusively. There are plenty of others that aren't so fussy.

Quote:
... didn't Symantec announce a while back they were abandoning their Mac virus software cos no one was buying it ...
http://usa.kaspersky.com/products-services/home-computer-security/anti-virus-for-mac
http://home.mcafee.com/Root/stdLandingPage.aspx?culture=en-us&Lpname=Catalog_MAC_LP&aco=0
http://us.norton.com/norton/macintosh/antivirus
http://us.norton.com/norton/macintosh/internet-security
http://www.iantivirus.com/
http://us.trendmicro.com/us/products...osh/index.html
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2010, 7:42 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
So, were you wrong or not?
No I was not...there are no viruses on the Mac platform...there may be some joke malware but no viruses.
soho100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2010, 1:56 PM   #28

aperture 3 is a 35% cost savings over lightroom currently. Amazon has aperture 3 for 160, LR for 280. So that is something else that you may want to factor in.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 3:27 PM   #29

The best thing to do is try both Aperture and Lightroom. They work differently but both can give excellent results. Lightroom does not replace Photoshop, but then neither does Aperture.

I've used both programs at different times. I started using LR when it was still in it's first beta version and really like it. I used Aperture when my macbook pro was getting repaired and I was using my hubby's iMac. It's a very nice program - goes about things differently than LR but wasn't all that difficult to figure out (with help from a tutorial or two I found). I ended up sticking to LR mainly because Adobe offers a better academic discount than Apple and it turned out to be about $25 cheaper. If you (or your kids) have some connection to a school, check out the educational discounts. That's the only way I can afford Photoshop.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2010, 9:43 PM   #30

I find this thread rather interesting ....

For the past several years I have ran both Mac OSX and WIndows platforms.
I use exclusively OSX and the wife Windows, have never used any form of virus protections and I have yet to have had any problem or a detected virus.
At times just for the giggles of I'll install and run and anti-virus on my Mac and as always it finds nothing having an end result of me removing the application.

My wife's PC running Windows , well not as lucky however I don't recall there being any major problems since I have installed Windows 7 however, the amount of spyware ,malware still bogs down her system and needs to be dealt with periodically.

OSX is all about simplicity and it has been my experience over the past several years to be much more stable and reliable the Windows by far.

Over the many years I have been running OSX I have never had the "Blue Screen of Death " , in others words my Mac has never crashed ....

Below is a link that address the virus controversy of Mac over PC for being more secure.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...or-pc-security
James G is offline   Reply With Quote