Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 6, 2010, 3:18 AM   #31
Super Moderator

That article sums it up nicely.

Usability is another issue; Apple have their own design guidelines, some things good, some not so, but all more-or-less designed around the premise that "the average user is stupid beyond comprehension". Modern Linux distros are exactly the opposite "this is an OS for smart people isn't it just awesome?" and it is. Windows7 is very good, and suitable for everyone, in fact I find the Mac UI the least friendly, stubbornly so. One menu bar for two 30" monitors - really give me a break! And the Finder is an abomination, a file browser designed by people who don't want you to ever leave the desktop.

But really it's all about the application landscape, all 3 OS are now excellent. But I do recommend staying away from Safari, it's very insecure and quite buggy still. Even chrome is better.

If you can get the applications you want only on a particular platform then use that. Also OSX color management is majorly broken still and their shiny LCD monitors suck for color accuracy big time. So if you want to do serious printing work I'd stay away from an iMac.

Proper color printing can be achieved on a Mac Pro with a Lacie or Eizo monitor and a RIP, but it's expensive.

Mac hardware is also VERY expensive compared to PC hardware. But we will always have some Macs in our house.

Last edited by peripatetic; Nov 6, 2010 at 3:22 AM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 8:58 AM   #32

What you may or may not have picked up on here is the irrational exuberance that Mac users in general express when discussing their favorite computer. There are some good reasons to use a Macintosh, and there are some good reasons not to. There are some good reasons to go with an iMac, and there are some good reasons not to. What it comes down to is what a computer can do for you, and the way it can do it. As with selecting a camera, a significant criterion should be how you feel about it (setting aside, if you can, any irrational exuberance.) If it feels good, if you can find the commands and controls when you need them, then you will enjoy using it and you will be more productive.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 10:00 AM   #33

Hey Im all for helping the economy during these tough times. If you feel like you would like to help the economy and your fellow man as well then by all means buy a PC. All those PC fixit shops can use your money. It seems there is one PC fixit shop for every 10 PC and they are counting on you doing your part and having problems. So if you dont get yourself a PC there is a family that will probably go hungry. Think about that. On behalf of that hungry PC family who might not be getting any Christmechah presents this year, bless you, and Mozel tov, infadel.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 10:58 AM   #34

An interesting topic and discussion.

I was a die hard Dell PC user and wouldn't think of switching to a Mac. That is until last November when I just couldn't any longer accept my PC locking up and my Photoshop software shutting down in the middle of post processing an image-with all the work I had just done blown away.

I had tried a number of remedies from talking to techs at Dell, increasing the RAM memory on the PC to talking with Tech support at Photoshop.

To cut to the chase, I bought an IMac last November, have used it exclusively since and have yet to experience a lock up, shut down or loss of image files.

Call it irrational exuberance, if you will. I call that peace of mind.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 1:06 PM   #35

Thanks all for your views. I have ordered a 21.5 imac today so should get it in about a week. Thanks again
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 1:17 PM   #36
Administrator

BTW, if you really want a Mac like User Interface, you can find themes to transform the desktop on both Linux and Windows.

Here's a review of one that's designed for Ubuntu running the Gnome Desktop (one of many popular desktops that you can get for Linux, each with their own look and feel, available themes for customization, etc.).

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/macbuntu.html

Get Ubuntu here:
http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop

Get Macbuntu (installs in Ubuntu) here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/macbuntu/

Or, if you want Ubuntu with more multimedia codecs and plugins already preinstalled, try this one:
http://hacktolive.org/wiki/Super_OS

Or, if you want Ubuntu for an older PowerPC based Mac, go here:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/10.10/release/
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 1:39 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
An interesting topic and discussion.

I was a die hard Dell PC user and wouldn't think of switching to a Mac. That is until last November when I just couldn't any longer accept my PC locking up and my Photoshop software shutting down in the middle of post processing an image-with all the work I had just done blown away.

I had tried a number of remedies from talking to techs at Dell, increasing the RAM memory on the PC to talking with Tech support at Photoshop.

To cut to the chase, I bought an IMac last November, have used it exclusively since and have yet to experience a lock up, shut down or loss of image files.

Call it irrational exuberance, if you will. I call that peace of mind.

Zig

Ah, Zig, you are wise beyond my years.
hahahahaha

P.S. In many graphic companies Ive heard people yell, "Get the Dell outta here".
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 2:01 PM   #38

I've been working with Dell computers for a little over 20 years now. This past year, I had two problems with one of my Dell workstations. I fixed it the first time, but it happened again. After I fixed it the same way the second time, I also closed my Facebook account. I haven't had a problem since.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 3:59 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
BTW, if you really want a Mac like User Interface, you can find themes to transform the desktop on both Linux and Windows. ...
The phrase "Lipstick on a pig." jumps to mind...

I work with Windows systems because I have to. I've splunked around with OS/370, AS400, VMS, Linux, and a bunch of others. I own Macs because they are a pleasure. (And I use the OS X command line--when needed.)

I find it bizarre that the most vocal opponents to the Mac on this board have apparently little or no recent, hands-on, experience with the system. If you're thinking of buying a new brand of camera, who do you go to for advice? Someone who only uses the competition and can't imagine using anything else? From the sounds of it, JimC and and TCav would break out in hives if they were in the same room with a Mac.

Craig
PvrFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 4:21 PM   #40
Administrator

Nah.. I just don't like paying more to get a machine.

Apple hardware tends to cost more versus other alternatives. They're more competitive in the laptop area compared to the desktop arena and their Laptop Reliability isn't bad. They're 4th behind Asus, Toshiba and Sony, with Dell in 5th place according to this report. But, all of the top 5 are fairly close.

http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/S...ility_1109.pdf

As for Dell machines, I've got 4 of them (1 laptop and 3 desktops) purchased in refurbished condition from Dell Outlet (as you can find some really good deals at Dell Outlet if you're a good shopper and use coupon codes for more off).

I'm typing on the newest one now under Win 7 (and I've also got Linux distros on it). My oldest Dell (Dimension 8300 with a 3Ghz P4 in it, purchased refurbished from Dell Outlet in 2004) is still running fine. I just used it early this afternoon, as I've got it setup downstairs in my parents home and use it when visiting). I've got OpenSUSE (a linux distro) on it in a dual boot config with XP Pro (but, it's setup to boot linux by default as XP is rarely used with it).

Even my wife's Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop (purchased refurbished in 2007 from Dell Outlet) still works fine, despite being banged around more. I've got Mepis 8.5 (a linux distro) on it, running a KDE desktop. It's setup in a dual boot config with Vista (which she never uses). Mepis has got everything she needs installed on it (Firefox, OpenOffice.org, video players, music players, image viewers/editors, etc.).

Chances are, I wouldn't personally buy an Apple, unless I really wanted to use OS X. If they sold the OS separately, I might consider giving it a spin. But, I'm not going to spend what Apple wants for their hardware in comparison to other alternatives.

The last Apple I bought was an Apple IIe (and I still have a II+). After that, IMO, they priced themselves out of the market compared to alternatives with equivalent or better performance for less money.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote