Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 7, 2010, 2:02 PM   #51

Based on the difference between my tower with a nice anti-glare screen, and laptop with glossy, I would have to say my impression of the laptop is that is is sharper, with more contrast. The shiny screen transmits more light, as well, making it maybe more energy efficient. It is totally unusable outside, though, and if you are sitting with back to window, it is really annoying. I have an anti-glare/privacy filter on the way.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2010, 3:21 PM   #52

The only purpose of the glossy screen is enhancement of the display...
Sharper pictures and video .... , the problem with anti-glare film is it will put you on the other side of the spectrum and then again is not advisable if your working on color critical projects such as graphical work and or photo editing.

What you see is not what you'll get in print...
James G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 2:01 PM   #53

IMO opinion, one system is not inherently better. It really depends on who you are.
I, for example, love messing around with computers. I am not a pro or anything, but understand how to maintain antiviruses, update software, set up a network etc to say the least. I also get software for specific work all the time, and am always tweaking things from bookmark syncing to my whole browser.
However, my mom understands little of how a computer works, yet uses it frequently, for documents, email, and internet. I have to explain how to connect to a network, how to avoid bad sites, and other stuff like that.
Now, for her, she only needs those three things to work well. She doesn't need a lot of speed or anything, just a decent experience and fun. Answer:Mac.
I want and can maximize the value of what I buy. If I do gaming, will a Mac ever be enough? Does it offer the flexibility of using pretty much any free software out there? Can I upgrade/replace parts without breaking the bank? No. Answer: Mac.

A similar tech anology is Android vs iOS vs Windows Phone 7. iOS is very polished, but you can only get one type of phone and have use a proprietary everything, but it all works and is fun. With Android you have a loads of awesome specced cheap machines, but you get a lot of fragmentation with updates and apps. Thats why I like windows phone 7. Choice, but not total proprietary.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 10:30 PM   #54

When did the Mac become cheaper? Less than six months ago I spent over a thousand dollars for a Nvidia Quadro FX for my engineering work station.

A proper PC has never been cheaper. My workstation (system unit only) cost the company over $2,500 almost three years ago. (that is parts only) With the graphics upgrade and a bit of ram I will benchmark my machine against any pc on the market today. (find a fair test and I will go aginst your Mac)

Mac has the niche market and it is a great thing for the people who can use them but the engineering market is SOL. As the Apple market share (and dependence on Intel) increases the threats will also increase. Delude yourselves all you want to but keyloggers are a big deal and by Apple's own admission the threats do exist.

Had I gone into graphics arts instead of engineering and ship building I would be using a Mac.

You have to understand that the pc because of its market share is being relegated to the status of being another "appliance" to the mass market.

The biggest problem I see right now with the pc is a lack of competent sellers. I work my machines to death 24/7. You CAN have a proper pc that does not pop blue screens and can go months of constant service without a reboot. But you are not getting it for $499 at your local outletter

You make some great arguments Binx. None of them apply to computer users at this company

Steve
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 3:02 AM   #55

Unfortunately we arent all using our computers at your company. I do admit that the PC is or at least was a good number cruncher. Thats all it did. Great for office work, doing the books etc. But when it came to graphics PCs were out because they were too unreliable and the work had to get out. Mac was the king of graphics for a long time. Then the PC caught up mainly because Adobe expanded to the PC market with Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign as well as Lightroom. So taking into account the cheaper price of the PC, on the surface it looked like a no brainer to go that route. And if thats all you did that would be fine. But from time to time you might like to surf the net. I would have to say that Mac is king of net surfing. Without a doubt.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 4:22 AM   #56
Super Moderator

As long as you don't go to sites that use Flash. Flash on Mac is horrible, insecure and crashes all the time. We all know what Jobs thinks about Flash.

Apple owned the graphics market for a long time. Then they realised that it was a small market and it would be better to get a share of the well-heeled consumer market instead: hence all their work on making things look pretty and simple to use. As a shareholder I approve. Kinda sucks for the graphics crowd though.

But you always have to take into account the applications you need as well as the hardware and OS. For film editing there is Final Cut Pro at around 1000, the closest equivalent on Windows is one of the Avid products, starting (when we had to choose platform) at around 5000. The fact that the Apple hardware was more expensive really didn't matter in the overall cost. Avid Media Composer is still 2500+, so for film editing overall system cost is still lower on the Mac platform.

[Please don't suggest I look at one of the cheap video editing packages, that's like suggesting someone in the market for a Hasselblad seriously consider a P&S instead.]
Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:43 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
...Flash on Mac is horrible, insecure and crashes all the time.
I agree with you--except for the "on Mac" part! Flash is horrible, insecure and crashes all the time on ANY platform. Also, bloated, annoying, and unnecessary. There is a reason why Flash blockers are the most popular browser add-in.

Craig
PvrFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:29 AM   #58

Oh, good, let's all rant about Flash for a while. I could go on for hours about what a PITA that is. (and if I was waiting for flash content to load, I would have hours)

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 11:37 AM   #59

I have to say I don't see the big deal about Flash. It runs fine on our PCs, rarely crashing (shockwave crashes way more frequently).
And I have to say I was dissapointed when I used a friends iMac. UI aside, it ran very slowly, and although the whole exterior was beautiful (mouse, keyboard, screen, body) the performace was very underwhelming. My sister's $500 toshiba LAPTOP runs at about the same speed (if not faster).
But, for basic stuff like emailing, internet (at least non flash), and Picasa it ran great, so I can see the appeal in those areas. But considering I can get a decent gaming desktopfor sub $700 (and use the other $300 on 27 inch monitor) I can get a much faster setup less than a slow iMac.
But, if you don't even know how to use antivirus, then why buy a gaming system? iMac is for you.
Good point peripatetic. If you have a specific use, there's no point debating if one beats the other in that area (duh). Just like how you should probably pick Canon for super fast professional sports photography, even if Pentax has better price/features for an entry-mid level. It's kind of common sense.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 1:23 PM   #60

"Unfortunately we aren't all using our computers at your company."

Valid point. Apple made, what I think, were smart decisions back in the early days of desktop computing. With the PC we now have companies shopping critical components based solely on lowest price per 100,000 units. This philosophy will never yield the best product. Mac has always done a great job of protecting both the hardware and software (at the expense of market share) but more importantly they focused on their user base and developed for their needs. Apple knew from day one that going after the engineering market was a lost cause so they never tried.

peripatetic gave a perfect example of this: "that's like suggesting someone in the market for a Hasselblad seriously consider a P&S instead"

This thread has evolved into another "what camera should I buy" debate and there is no blanket answer. All of the same questions apply. How are you going to use it?

The original poster bought the Mac and it should serve well for the intended purpose. Figure in the more than two decades of development catering to the graphics artists and they should have it right by now.

Could the OP gone with a PC that would have worked just as well? Sure, but it comes with a long list of issues getting it right. (and would not have been any cheaper), I laugh every time someone says that.

What the PC can bring to the table is flexibility of focus but that brings "some assembly required" and that my friends is where it all goes down the crapper in real time. With the Mac it is easy. You go to the Mac store because that is the only place that feels like being bothered with selling them.

This is for you Bynx: I disagree with you on a fundamental level and I am going to try and make my best argument as to why.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...family/mac_pro

These prices are consistent with what the comparable performance pc would cost. I would argue the choice of graphics engine but that could go either way. I do notice that everything is running Intel processors and chip-sets.

Mac users have never faced this so I honestly believe you are underestimating the coming attractions.

Certain Intel product lines, have in the past, come under specific attack. Chip-set and processor specific attacks are not uncommon.

Large entities buy in bulk, like items, for consistency. (as Mac has done) So say you were a competitor of said large entity and by following their purchasing process knew the details of their new equipment. You hire someone to write up a little something to attack the mother board on the ic level. I am not talking about deleting data I am talking about taking down the entire network on a hardware level and it cannot be recovered without hardware level replacement

Intel is the most attacked chip manufacturer on this planet and are the most targeted for chip series specific attacks.

Mac networks are going to face a threat that has never been an issue and if you are not prepared it is going to leave a mark. You really need to look into this and prepare.

We have discussed this quite a bit around the offices and our best guess is give it eight to eighteen months (based on sales figures) and some basement dwelling weasel is going to do it just so he/she can brag on the hacker sites how he/she took down Mac. And it will be done through the Intel processor/chip-set.

You had a great run but you are coming into the real world now and it is not always nice out here. I fear for what might happen to you guys if you do not follow this evolution closely.

Steve
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote