Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 10, 2010, 1:12 PM   #71

I don't go as far as all that, but my browsing is generally pretty limited anyway. When I download software, I do it through sites that test it first themselves, such as Major Geeks.
AVG free edition has gotten me by for quite some time now, in combination with Spywareblaster, and I have recently added PCtools Firewall Plus to the mix, since I am not on dialup anymore. I do have drive images of my initial configurations, and keep a weekly update (to a separate initial image).

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 1:32 PM   #72
Administrator

I used AVG for a long time. But, it's detection rate is not that good. For example, it only detected 98.3% of the samples (approx. 900,000 total samples) used by this AV-Comparatives study:

http://www.av-comparatives.org/image...od_aug2010.pdf

98.3% means that it missed around 16,000 malware samples out of the approximately 900,000 used in that test.

Also, keep in mind that 900,000 samples is a very small percentage of the malware that's being produced by criminals (some antivirus companies see more than that every month now). I've scanned drives from my old PCs that were using AVG, and I was surprised at how much malware was being missed by AVG when rescanning the drives using Avira. Of course, Avira isn't perfect either, and I also scan with other products.

I haven't used Spywareblaster before.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 2:11 PM   #73

Yea, Download.com has pretty much all the popular freeware (as well as uncommon stuff). I tell Mom & Dad to only download off of there (for the most part) since there are a lot of phony copy sites. (openoffice.com instead if .org for an example)
I have used AVG for ages, and the one time i needed it it worked, so I may stick with it (since i only use it for monitoring, not removing). However, the new 2011 update makes everything really slow, so unless my laptop finally dies and I get a new fast machine, I'll be switching to Avira.
Spybot also monitors your system without slowing it down too much. I also like its Immunize feature (assuming it actually helps)
Oh, I noticed in the news a week ago that there is now a free Mac antivirus software, which is probably an omen of more viruses for Mac.
Hehe, we've certainly gone off topic.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 2:29 PM   #74
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpete View Post
...Spybot also monitors your system without slowing it down too much. I also like its Immunize feature (assuming it actually helps)
Yep... I think it's adding known malicious sites to your hosts file. You can do the same thing manually, too (it's just a text file). There are also third parties that provide hosts files that are updated on a regular basis. Here's a page with some:

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
Old Nov 14, 2010, 12:01 PM   #75

Hi all now the proud owner of a 21.5 Imac. First thoughts are very good.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 12:44 PM   #76
Administrator

Congrats. Let us know how you get along with it.

I'd also make sure to update update your OS and apps, as Apple's most recent security bulletin indicates fixes for a lot of security vulnerabilities that could let attackers execute code on Macs under some conditions (visiting specially crafted web pages; opening docs, .tiff files and raw files designed to cause buffer overflows, etc.).

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4435

Even though you don't hear about those problems with Apple as often (except at security related contests where Apple machines are often the first ones hacked into), I think we'll see more and more criminals trying to take advantage of vulnerabilities on Macs as time passes if their market share continues to grow.

So, criminals may start shifting some of their resources to OS X and Linux instead, as in some of the recent trojans targeting multiple operating systems including Windows, Linux and OS X.

I'm sure criminals are probably aware that Apple apparently has more security vulnerabilites than any other major vendor according to some reports I've seen, too (they recently passed Oracle to take the crown as the vendor having the most security vulnerabilities). Here's one example (see page 5 of this report):

http://secunia.com/gfx/pdf/Secunia_H...eport_2010.pdf

IOW, it's only a matter of time before Macs are targeted more often by criminals. ;-)

Just because Operating Systems like OS X or Linux are designed for better security, doesn't mean they don't have coding errors that criminals can exploit when new vulnerabilities are found by researchers (or found in the wild when criminals are already taking advantage of them).

Also, as soon as those vulnerabilities are published, criminals are probably going to start working on ways to exploit unpatched systems, as they've done with systems running Windows in the past.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 4:26 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
...So, criminals may start shifting some of their resources to OS X ...
Oh, give it a rest. Why is fear-mongering about Apple products so important to you? Did Steve Jobs give you a wedgie?

Yes, there is the *possibility* of malware on the Mac. If and when a virus shows up, then there will be something to fuss about.

Why don't you add a few hundred posts about the virtual *certainty* that a Windows machine will be infected with one of the hundreds of thousands of nasties that are already out there in the wild.

Craig
PvrFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 4:34 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by PvrFan View Post
Oh, give it a rest. Why is fear-mongering about Apple products so important to you? Did Steve Jobs give you a wedgie?

Yes, there is the *possibility* of malware on the Mac. If and when a virus shows up, then there will be something to fuss about.

Why don't you add a few hundred posts about the virtual *certainty* that a Windows machine will be infected with one of the hundreds of thousands of nasties that are already out there in the wild.

Craig
Had to chuckle at this because its so true. Reconsider buying a Mac because it might become the focus of hackers. Meanwhile, buy a PC which has been the focus of the hackers since day one. Coulda woulda shoulda if and maybe. hahahahaha
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 4:40 PM   #79
Administrator

Just raising awareness to the need to stay fully patched, since many Mac users assume they're immune, given the posts I'm seeing in this thread.

As for Windows, read my last few posts in this thread. I went into great detail on the type of protection I'm running and some of the precautions I take, including screening of anything I'm going to install using services like virustotal.com (as most malware is targeting Windows now), making sure everything is patched with the latest updates, etc.. ;-)

My point is that no OS is immune (and most Mac and Linux users don't seem to get that part), and I probably run Linux more than Windows (I haven't booted into Windows since Wednesday of last week). BTW, I also run a lot of protection under Linux (including malware scanners, noscript in Firefox, screening on a regular basis using Live CDs to make sure I don't have any boot sector malware, searching for rookits using rkunter, etc.).
Old Nov 14, 2010, 6:15 PM   #80

I agree with Jim, you need to be aware. He is not fear mongering, just making sure you're aware that it is far from immune. I have heard reports of viruses on a mac, and it is possible that you have some running the the OS doesn't pick up. Plus if you are individually targeted, you may want a bit more beef.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...puter-security

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote