Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 14, 2010, 7:03 PM   #81

This thread started out asking the questions which computer was preferred and any regrets going from PC to Mac. At this point in time if you make comparisons, its obvious to those less obtuse which is the better system. Bringing in what might be shouldnt be a consideration. Its more important to compare what is. I would imagine, and from my limited experience with a PC, that loading it down with all sorts of virus software etc to keep it running safely doesnt make any sense. I can remember all sorts of windows constantly popping up interrupting the work flow. Thats not why I use a computer. The only programs running on my Mac are the ones Im using. Just makes sense to me. If you plan to stay off the internet, and only use software from legitimate sources then a PC would be a consideration. Otherwise its a no brainer.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 7:35 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
This thread started out asking the questions which computer was preferred and any regrets going from PC to Mac. At this point in time if you make comparisons, its obvious to those less obtuse which is the better system. Bringing in what might be shouldnt be a consideration. Its more important to compare what is. I would imagine, and from my limited experience with a PC, that loading it down with all sorts of virus software etc to keep it running safely doesnt make any sense. I can remember all sorts of windows constantly popping up interrupting the work flow. Thats not why I use a computer. The only programs running on my Mac are the ones Im using. Just makes sense to me. If you plan to stay off the internet, and only use software from legitimate sources then a PC would be a consideration. Otherwise its a no brainer.
I don't think its a no brainer. I am not opposed to mac, and have often considered switching, mostly because I have talked to Mac users who have said I should. But my pc's have always worked like clockwork, I've never had a virus issue (at work or at home on at least 100 pc's). My 4 computers at home are constantly connected to the internet (one of which is 8 years old and used by an 11 year old). And yes, I only use software from legitimate sources, but would do so even if I owned a mac..to me using software from illegitimate sources is not something I would consider. I've invested too much money into my pc's and software, and really it's all worked perfectly. It does everything I need, and does it well. I'm not ready to spend the time or money to switch at this point, and not sure that I would gain anything by doing so. I don't think that makes me obtuse

One question though...so what does everyone think...Canon or Nikon
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 7:50 PM   #83

Face it, the only reason viruses haven't made serious attempts at Mac networks, is because there aren't any worth bothering with. Major corporations run PCs, on Windows. All other OS are such a small target, nobody bothers much.

(sorry, but this is too much fun to let go of )

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 8:23 PM   #84
Administrator

What concerns me is the attitude I see from both Mac and Linux users, constantly telling others that they can't get malware (and I tend to use Linux just as much or more than Windows).

But, anymore, we're starting to see some Trojans for Linux and OS X.

The most common way to spread them is by tricking users into installing something, and I'm seeing some interesting "tricks" being used by Malware writers.

For example, I saw a neat redirect exploit not long ago, and I captured it working on Firefox on multiple PCs running more than one Operating System (two different Linux distros as well as Win 7). Sorry, I don't have a Mac, but it would work on it, too. Every protection mechanism I had setup was foiled (including real time web page analysis using Finjin). Only after analyzing the source code on the site's page and analyzing the code on the page users were being redirected to and sending info from that page to the analysis engine at m86security.com did I figure out what was causing it. I alerted the Web Site owner of the problem with links to more information about the exploit.

That was a legit site site, too. It was just hacked into and the exploit planted. Ironically, the reason I went to it to begin with was because it was the web site of a user that started a Mac versus PC thread and he had a survey on the site. LOL

Now, in that case, it wouldn't have infected a Linux or Mac user. But, the redirect exploit to the site containing malicious content (trying to plant a trojan) still worked fine.

Criminals are using some interesting tricks with those types of exploits now. For example, here's an example of a trick malware writers are using to get users to think they're updating Flash Player.

http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/00001997.html

It would be very simple to use the same type of redirect exploit I saw planted on a legit site recently to redirect Mac users to that type of page. But, when they click on the link they could be downloading a .dmg file instead, and sure, most users would probably give the root password when prompted if the malware was well written, thinking they're updating Flash.

It may not be as obvious as that example either (trying to install fake anti-virus software). A user could be installing a trojan with keyloggers instead and never realize they have an issue until they're bank accounts have been emptied. ;-)

I see malware writers using tricks in the forums on a regular basis, too. For example, note my warning in this recent thread:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/un...lc-player.html

I've also found malware in photography applications that were traced to a compromised library the [legit] developer used (as malware writers are starting to target development libraries and compilers now, too).

Although Windows has been the primary target of most of that kind of thing in the past, I'm seeing reports of new trojans designed for both OS X and Linux on a regular basis (and that kind of thing will only increase as time passes, especially if users assume they can't be infected by anything).

For example, I saw a screen saver installation script a while back on a popular Liniux download site that contained code to install a trojan. I also saw a case not long ago where someone managed to hack into a server and plant a modified copy of a legit linux application with a trojan in it. So, users assumed they were installing software from a trusted source (and the source was trusted, but servers are sometimes compromised by criminals). A lot of malware is being proprogated that way now (criminals compromising legitimate sites that users trust).

So, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'd urge users of any operating system to be very careful and make sure they keep their system fully patched (Operating System, Drivers, Internet Browsers, Plugins like Adobe Flash Player and Acrobat Reader, etc.); because as soon as information about a new vulnerability is published, you can bet malware writers are going to try and figure out a way to take advantage of it when they can find unpatched systems.

Call me paranoid if you like.... But, there are too many groups of criminals with very good programmers working on figuring out more ways to steal your money.

Not long ago, most malware was just a "nuisance". But, lately, it's big business, and the amount of new malware being found has been increasing at an amazing rate over the past few years.

Yes, most of it has been targeted at Windows users in the past. But, we're seeing trojans designed to target other Operating Systems (including OS X) now, too.

So, be careful. ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 8:34 PM   #85

There have been viruses for even iOS (and Android).

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 8:56 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjseeney View Post
I don't think its a no brainer. I am not opposed to mac, and have often considered switching, mostly because I have talked to Mac users who have said I should. But my pc's have always worked like clockwork, I've never had a virus issue (at work or at home on at least 100 pc's). My 4 computers at home are constantly connected to the internet (one of which is 8 years old and used by an 11 year old). And yes, I only use software from legitimate sources, but would do so even if I owned a mac..to me using software from illegitimate sources is not something I would consider. I've invested too much money into my pc's and software, and really it's all worked perfectly. It does everything I need, and does it well. I'm not ready to spend the time or money to switch at this point, and not sure that I would gain anything by doing so. I don't think that makes me obtuse

One question though...so what does everyone think...Canon or Nikon
I dont think it makes you obtuse either RJ. But it does make you very very lucky.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:21 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
What concerns me is the attitude I see from both Mac and Linux users, constantly telling others that they can't get malware ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Just raising awareness to the need to stay fully patched, since many Mac users assume they're immune, ...
No, we've been saying that there are precious few actual examples in the wild and you keep insisting that there will be many, Real Soon Now.

Since you're well versed in security, apparently, you know that the only truly safe computer is in a locked basement, behind high walls and barbed wire. It's not connected to the 'net--in fact it is cold and dark because it isn't even connected to power. But, boy, is it secure!

Dealing with the real world, as it stands today, Mac users have far less to fear. Let's deal with the future as and when it happens.

BTW, our credit cards have been compromised three different times in the last few years. I think the numbers where harvested at gas stations and other retail locations. In my experience, that is a far more real and urgent threat than some nefarious computer gang trying to get online access to bank accounts. Can we have a show of hands: how many have had their online banking compromised? Anyone?

Craig
PvrFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:31 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpete View Post
There have been viruses for even iOS (and Android).
And that proves what?

The risk level for a Mac user is pretty low. Kind of like the risk that a meteor is going to fall from the sky and knock me on the head.

The risk for a Windows user is akin to playing hopscotch on Highway 401 in Toronto!

Craig
PvrFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 11:05 PM   #89

Well, after using the Mac for the last 12 months I've forgotten about, all the malware, antivirus software, Trojans, and pop up windows warning me that my PC was at risk and that I needed to download this software immediately or my head would explode

What was equally enjoyable were all the Microsoft updates windows that popped up telling me that I also needed to download their latest service pack update because they just found bug number 3 trillion and 42.

In an odd sort of way, I feel much more secure with out all that attention.

Seriously, though, if you like using a PC great- have at it and more power to you. The Mac works for me, I'm satisfied with it's performance and couldn't be any happier having made the switch.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 3:59 AM   #90

Hi all quick update. I am impressed so far I plugged in the Imac I entered my name and email and it set up everything for me it then did a software update and I was good to go. It took 2hours to down load my Itunes and some pictures and put on the canon software. It couldnt have been easier.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote